I have $$$, need priorities....

DarthFaders

I'm looking to upgrade my rig...and have created a small list of things to buy...but I can't decide on an order to buy them in. I will be purchasing approximately one item per month, and I'm just wondering what you all think would be the most vital upgrades.

I understand that this is a very subjective subject, but that's why I asked. I want lots of opinions, and I know that there are people here that have used all of this gear. So, out of the list that is forthcoming to you in about 8 seconds, what contributes to the greatest gain in the big picture in your opinion?

This is my list, in the format of: what I want to purchase/what I'm upgrading from.

• Apogee Rosetta upgrading from the Roland VS-2480's clock/AD converter

Mackie HR824's upgrading from Alesis M1 Actives

Grace 101 upgrading from Aphex 207

Universal Audio UAD-1 card upgrading for great sounding plugs (already have all of the waves plugs, and many, many more.)

So what would you upgrade first? Monitors? Mic pres? Clock/AD converter?

I want your opinion!

Thanks,

Darth

um... that's a tough one. You are going to have it all anyway so who cares. Just buy in any order.

this is my order:

Apogee Rosetta
Grace 101
Mackie HR824's
Universal Audio UAD-1 card

Tukkis

p.s.- your recordings rock!! I cant wait to hear some stuff with the new gear

with the normal person, this list would be a cakewalk to prioritize....but your mixes are so fucking great that you will be an exception......

i think id do the converter first......the Roland VS units arent known for the best ones but you suck every bit of quality out of them so i know that would really open up even more for you....

Id go with the preamp next....though I havent heard the Aphex before, so this is very non-educated.....maybe RNP,VTB-1,Great River or Davisound?......

Monitors next....I have no problems with your mixes, so I marvel that you do it on M1's......

then the card.....

MIKE

Monitors first I think...So you can hear your upgrades better IMHO..Maybe pre next ..then converters...and so on I guess

Don

I'm with Gidge and Tukkis- Roland's A-D converters leave much to be desired. Of course, another option would be to buy a good pre with S/PDIF out, and kill 2 birds with one stone. Get 2 channels, though, not 1.-Richie

I think the order that Tukkis gave was on the money.

wow the Grace 101. so what are you going to use when you need to record a stereo output of a synth keyboard? are you just going to use the mic-pre of your outboard mixer? otherwise you'll need two 101's or a 201.

I've got the RNP and I am extremely happy with it. I chose it over the 101 because it was 2 channels, and I knew I couldn't afford to buy two 101's.

that doesn't seem to be a problem for you. just add another month to your purchase plan and you've got an awesome setup.

crosstudio said:
wow the Grace 101. so what are you going to use when you need to record a stereo output of a synth keyboard? are you just going to use the mic-pre of your outboard mixer? otherwise you'll need two 101's or a 201.

hmm, this is something on my mind too.... do you really need a great stereo mic pre to record synth? since the outputs of the synth are line level, is there significant difference recording it without a mic pre?

I have been recording my sound module with direct connection to my Audiopile2496. I would like to upgrade my mic pre one day(currently using VC3Q)... my budget would allow me either Grace101 or RNP.

Your thoughts please... :)

One thing that you haven't mentioned that I think you should seriously be considering . . . a lot of your stuff uses some heavy compression. It seems to be a big part of your sound, so I would naturally think that upgrading your compressor would be the most logical upgrade.

Darth Faders armed with a Distressor would be a scary thing. :D Look out!

Think about it. Consider your unique situation, your style, your priorities and the type of music you tend to deal with and it just makes sense.

The RCL plugins are just fine for someone like myself who uses compression conservatively, but I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable pushing it to the extent that Darth Faders does. :D

Darth my friend,

First you need wisdom, then priorities.

Smart people learnd from their mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes.

The wisest thing you could do is send me your money. I will buy all the above gear and send you a hand written evaluation of each unit.

You in turn will learn from my mistakes without making any yourself and you will be able to buy with confidence!
:D

I will of course keep the purchaed units for my hard earned fee.

Check out Proverbs...wisdom is more valuable than gold or riches.

Leeking,

whenever I try to record my roland xv-3080 or Ensoniq/Emu ASR-X directly into my Tango24, the levels just aren't loud enough.

In the past, I would record them using the Inserts of my mackie 1604 vlz pro.

Now i use the RNP, which means I have to record them one at a time, but the sound is better. when i say better i mean more detailed, which I initially thought was just a brighter high end when i recorded my bass through the RNP for the first time. after several listens of different types of recording (bass, back vocals, guitar, ac. guitar) the RNP is way more detailed than my 1604.

Back