I have a virus :( HELP!

wx3

I know this might not be the best place to post this, but you guys are very smart with computers so maybe one of you can help me. I was browsing the web when this java script window popped up. All of a sudden it started to kinda vibrate. Then internet explorer closed and my anti virus, pc-cillin popped up. It started to do a scan, but the virus disabled it. Then my computer restarted !!!!

AAA!!

So now my computer is running, but not as fast as usual. I also can't open some websites and I can't open my anti-virus.

I want to try opening my computer in safe mode and running the software, but there is no prompt on my comp to do it. (Like the usual hit F8)

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks.

I tried downloading that free software and it found the worm.

It's called : DR/Pere.103936.E.2

Whatever that means.

It tells me that it is protected and I need to restart my comp and then run the anti virus imediately after restarting to get rid of it before it becomes protected again.

I've tried this many times but no luck.

Any ideas guys?

First thing's first, you need to restart the computer in Safe Mode.

Press F8 when it's starting up and select "Safe Mode with Networking"

Right-click on "My Computer" go to Properties, get over to System Restore and turn it off. That will allow many viruses to reinstall themselves.

Download and run HijackThis! - only remove the items that look suspicious or you know that you don't need. This can kill the functionality of your computer - especially when it comes to services. If it says to get LSPFix to remove an LSP, do that, but read about it before you remove anything because that can kill your internet connection.

Restart the computer in safe mode. Use one of the free Antivirus programs or go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com. Have it remove all the viruses.

Restart in safe mode again. Install and run Adaware and Spybot. Remove everything and restart the computer.

Do this procedure on each account on the computer. Even if you only have one user account, you also usually have an Administrator account.

If all else fails, back up the necessary information and wipe the computer. That's why I run multiple hard drives - one for my o/s and the rest for data and music. Between that and Norton Ghost (and common sense), no problems with viruses.

Make sure to disable your computer's Restore system or it'll make a backup of the virus (if it isn't too late).
Also, can't you just restore to an earlier backup? (Are you running XP?).
Lot's of free info/downloads and virus/malware removers on the Symantec site. Also includes manual removes for the real pesky one's.

My computer doesnt seem to give me the option to start in safe mode. First it asks me if I want to boot from cd. Then it asks if I need to run the Acronis Recovery Manager. No F8 prompt.

Is there any other way to get into safe mode?

You have to sit there and repeatedly press F8 when it's starting up. After the BIOS screen and before the Windows screen. I just turn it on and start hitting F8.

If all else fails, back up the necessary information and wipe the computer. That's why I run multiple hard drives - one for my o/s and the rest for data and music. Between that and Norton Ghost (and common sense), no problems with viruses.

This got me thinking, are there any viruses/worms/horses that can infect ALL of your harddrives? I was going to reconfigure my computer in a big case with 3 or 4 harddrives, but I don't know much about how viruses work.

Viruses can infect and affect anything on any drive, it just depends how its written. Which is a good case NOT to have your production machine connected to the internet. If you want to get online, get a machine for that

Back