I have a question

tmay

I am about to go to a studio to work with a gospel artist but I have a question about the studio. He charges $95 and that about the cheapest I have found with a studio with a Hammond B3 organ (which is really important). can you look at his equipment list and tell me what you guy think.

One more question. He says he using protool and a recording medium so what protools purpose with the other equipment.

His equipment List
CONSOLE RECORDERS:
Harrison 2824 automated console
Studer A80 MKIV 2" 24trk analogue recorder
Alesis M20 20bit digital Recorders 24trk (3 units)
MCI 1/4" 2trk recorder (2)
Panasonic 3700 DAT
Panasonic 3500 DAT

OUTBOARD GEAR:
Urei 1176LN compressors (2) black face
Urei LA4A compressors (2)
Urei LA3A compressors (2)
Drawmer 2 channel compressors w/ gates
Alesis 2 channel compressors w/ gates (2)
Presonus ACP22 2 channel compressor w/ gates
Invonics compressor
Eventide compressor
Gates Tube limiter / Altec tube 5x1 mixer
Aphex 107 Tube mic pres (2)
ADR compressor
ADR F300 expander/gates (4)
ADR sweep EQ's (2)
ADR auto panner
ADR flanger
ADR vocal stressor
Eventide flanger
Eventide 910 harmonizer
Lexicon Prime Time delay
Lexicon Alex digital reverb
Yamaha SPX90's (3)
Alesis microverb
Alesis midiverb
EMT 140 stereo plate reverb / AKG BX10 II reverb
Aphex C2 aural exciter

MICROPHONES:
U87 (3), U47, AKG 414 (2), AKG 451 (2), KM84 w/ 83 caps (2), MD421 (4),RE20 (2), SM57 (2), SM58, SM61 (2), SM53(3),AKG 330, AKG D1000E, AKG D112, AKG 190, AT450

MONITORS / AMPS:
Altec 604E
Tannoy 6.5 w/ subwoofer / Yamaha NS-10M / Auratones / Infinity RS1
Crown, BGW, Urei, Yamaha amps

INSTRUMENTS:
Yamaha C7 7'4" grand piano
Hammond B3 organ w/ leslie
Hammond H series organ w/ leslie
Fender Rhodes 88 w/ stereo pre-amp
EPS 16 Plus sampling/sequencer keyboard
E-mu Emax sampling keyboard
Yamaha DX7
Prophet 5 synth
Roland Jupiter 8 synth
Alesis D4 Drum Module
Yamaha MSS1 smpte/midi sync
Pentium II 400 computer w/ Adat Edit /Cakewalk sequencing software/Cubase VST24
Charvel Jackson Electric guitar
Gibson Les Paul guitar
Alverez Yari acoustic guitar
Alverez Yari classical guitar
Guild 12 string acoustic guitar
Norman acoustic w/ Fishman pick-up guitar
Ludwig 7 piece maple wood shell drum kit w/ Ludwig and Mapex snares
LP congos
LP timbales
various percussion items
Korg DDD5 digital drum machine
Linn digital drum machine

AMPLIFIERS:
Fender Bassman 10
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Super Reverb (black face) / Fender Bandmaster (black face)
Marshall 50 watt head/cabinet
Other vintage amps available upon request

ROOM DIMENSIONS:
Control Room 18x22x11
Studio (main) 33x36x11
Studio (small room) 16x12x11
Iso booth (in main room 7x9)
Studio B 14x12 (also used as iso room)

DIGITAL MASTERING/EDITING
Cool Edit Pro / Sound Forge / CD Architect / WaveLab / ADAT edit (for editing M20 tapes)

and hes charging only $95/hr?????! man that is cheap...harrison consoles sound great.....studer a-80 sweet...with a protools rig also...hes giving it away...you can track a lot of sweet stuff to the tape and drop it into pro tools with all that nice analog harmonics goin on....bargain....if he knows what hes doin...

tmay said:
I am about to go to a studio to work with a gospel artist but I have a question about the studio. He charges $95 and that about the cheapest I have found with a studio with a Hammond B3 organ (which is really important). can you look at his equipment list and tell me what you guy think.

One more question. He says he using protool and a recording medium so what protools purpose with the other equipment.

His equipment List
CONSOLE RECORDERS:
Harrison 2824 automated console
Studer A80 MKIV 2" 24trk analogue recorder
Alesis M20 20bit digital Recorders 24trk (3 units)
MCI 1/4" 2trk recorder (2)
Panasonic 3700 DAT
Panasonic 3500 DAT

OUTBOARD GEAR:
Urei 1176LN compressors (2) black face
Urei LA4A compressors (2)
Urei LA3A compressors (2)
Drawmer 2 channel compressors w/ gates
Alesis 2 channel compressors w/ gates (2)
Presonus ACP22 2 channel compressor w/ gates
Invonics compressor
Eventide compressor
Gates Tube limiter / Altec tube 5x1 mixer
Aphex 107 Tube mic pres (2)
ADR compressor
ADR F300 expander/gates (4)
ADR sweep EQ's (2)
ADR auto panner
ADR flanger
ADR vocal stressor
Eventide flanger
Eventide 910 harmonizer
Lexicon Prime Time delay
Lexicon Alex digital reverb
Yamaha SPX90's (3)
Alesis microverb
Alesis midiverb
EMT 140 stereo plate reverb / AKG BX10 II reverb
Aphex C2 aural exciter

MICROPHONES:
U87 (3), U47, AKG 414 (2), AKG 451 (2), KM84 w/ 83 caps (2), MD421 (4),RE20 (2), SM57 (2), SM58, SM61 (2), SM53(3),AKG 330, AKG D1000E, AKG D112, AKG 190, AT450

MONITORS / AMPS:
Altec 604E
Tannoy 6.5 w/ subwoofer / Yamaha NS-10M / Auratones / Infinity RS1
Crown, BGW, Urei, Yamaha amps

INSTRUMENTS:
Yamaha C7 7'4" grand piano
Hammond B3 organ w/ leslie
Hammond H series organ w/ leslie
Fender Rhodes 88 w/ stereo pre-amp
EPS 16 Plus sampling/sequencer keyboard
E-mu Emax sampling keyboard
Yamaha DX7
Prophet 5 synth
Roland Jupiter 8 synth
Alesis D4 Drum Module
Yamaha MSS1 smpte/midi sync
Pentium II 400 computer w/ Adat Edit /Cakewalk sequencing software/Cubase VST24
Charvel Jackson Electric guitar
Gibson Les Paul guitar
Alverez Yari acoustic guitar
Alverez Yari classical guitar
Guild 12 string acoustic guitar
Norman acoustic w/ Fishman pick-up guitar
Ludwig 7 piece maple wood shell drum kit w/ Ludwig and Mapex snares
LP congos
LP timbales
various percussion items
Korg DDD5 digital drum machine
Linn digital drum machine

AMPLIFIERS:
Fender Bassman 10
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Super Reverb (black face) / Fender Bandmaster (black face)
Marshall 50 watt head/cabinet
Other vintage amps available upon request

ROOM DIMENSIONS:
Control Room 18x22x11
Studio (main) 33x36x11
Studio (small room) 16x12x11
Iso booth (in main room 7x9)
Studio B 14x12 (also used as iso room)

DIGITAL MASTERING/EDITING
Cool Edit Pro / Sound Forge / CD Architect / WaveLab / ADAT edit (for editing M20 tapes)
hes most likely using the two inch studer to record on and bringing everything into pro tools for edits and mixing.
where is this studio?$95 an hour is a bargain because it is unlikely that the guy has a setup this nice and doesnt know what he is doing.

would you mind buying that black face super reverb off of the guy and giving it to me as a bday present?please?

tmay said:

WOuld protool take away from the studder recordings.

There are those who would say it will, I don't know if I'd go that far. It certainly won't add anything (sonically) to them. I'd say, with that equipment list, stay analog all the way.

Scott

Last edited:
this is my understaning,albeit limited:at some point in the process
the recording will have to be transfered to a digital medium in
order for you to have cd.from what i have read,the studers are highly respected machines.pro tools also seems to be pretty well thought of.(i think this is due to its editing capabilities)
if you play a b3,then you are most likely an old schoolplayer,and would prefer yer recordings to have an old school sound.
i think this is why a lot of people like to record to 2 inch tape and then edit and mix in pro tools.

The studio is in New Orleans Louisiana

Quesiton

If im planning on doing a 12-13 (4-5min ) song album, tracking a b3 organ, keyboard,bass, 2 leads, drums, and about a 40 person choir, if we practice and get everything down at practice how many hours do you think I might take us to record ( a rough estimate) + hours of mixing=_______________

Also with mastering He say he has a friend who uses wave lab and cool edit for mastering and he charges 75hr. Do you think I should stay away from his friend and find someone with a bit more sopiscated equipment.

I'm guessing you are going to spend a MINIMUM of $10,000 in the tracking and mixing stages. In return you are getting the advantage of using some of the highest quality recording equipment in a nicely sized acoustic space. And hopefully we can assume a skilled engineer to go with it.

So don't cut corners to save $100 or so at the mastering stage. Go to a pro mastering engineer with pro equipment. I'm sure you can find someone who will do the job for well under $1000.

Pro Tools may be very useful if you need to do a lot of editing, like compositing between different takes. If the editing needed is minor, you're probably better off staying analog.

admit it, Chessrock...

you're salivating over the Alesis compressors and microverb, the Aphex aural exciter, and the Auratones!

you say a minium of 10,000 why thats like $95 x 100hrs=$9500

I plan on doing a semi live recording in the studio, where all the musicians and singer are recording at the same time to get that church feel, because in gospel music its alot of high and lows points in the music and I don't want to mess that up by making the singer stick to the format of a pre-recorded track and they want be able to do there own thing. You don't think if we have all our songs down (because we have been rehearsing the same songs since December and we are recording in May) I could do it a little cheaper than $10,000.

tmay said:
you say a minium of 10,000 why thats like $95 x 100hrs=$9500

I plan on doing a semi live recording in the studio, where all the musicians and singer are recording at the same time to get that church feel, because in gospel music its alot of high and lows points in the music and I don't want to mess that up by making the singer stick to the format of a pre-recorded track and they want be able to do there own thing. You don't think if we have all our songs down (because we have been rehearsing the same songs since December and we are recording in May) I could do it a little cheaper than $10,000.

Well, i guess i was thinking more along the lines of a typical recording session where there might be overdubbed soloists. And then at least 4-6 hours of mixing per tune.

If you are doing it more as a recorded concert with only one or two takes per song, no overdubs, and recording live to 2-track so there is no mixing time, you might be able to keep your studio costs under $2000.

Be sure and DEMAND to listen to some recordings of your style of music that have been recorded in that studio before you spend a dime.

A long equipment list doesnt mean jack if the studio doesnt have the results to back it up.

Last edited:
littledog said:
you're salivating over the Alesis compressors and microverb, the Aphex aural exciter, and the Auratones!

Actually it was that AKG C1000, since I've heard you talk about it so highly in the past, it has my curiosity. :D

I know it's not listed. I just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

Back