I have a proposal for anyone in central Michigan.

chronicle

Indeed I do. Here's the deal.
Anyone here live in the middle of Michigan? Here is why I am asking.

I am moving to central Michigan to downsize my life, as I can no longer afford the house and location I currently live in, which is on the southern Oregon coast. Recently, my wife's son and family have offered us a home free of rent, which at my age is a no brainer. Unfortunately, even though I would love to keep my studio intact, there is simply no room for my setup. Selling everything notwithstanding, I either have to store everything till such time something might allow me to rebuild, or, make do in a much smaller footprint, which for all intents and purposes..ain't gonna happen in the small modular that I will call home. So, I got to thinking.

Perhaps, maybe someone around the area I am moving to, might perchance be willing to engage in some kind of partnership, whereby, they might have a room, or small building they were thinking about turning into a studio, but don't have the skills, or equipment, or maybe some equipment but don't really know how to build a studio. That's where I come in.

Here's the deal. I've been a member here since 1998, and have learned a great deal about studio design and building, and, I am a pro CAD designer/draftsman and detailer, having posted probably 1k CAD/Sketchup designs on this forum since joining. Furthermore, I am a pro fabricator and builder, having built thousands of things over my life, including most of my studio, of which I've have various acoustical projects in progress, but never finished. In that light, here is what I am offering.

My personal studio consists of an Analog/Digital hybrid of mostly Tascam gear on the Mixer/Recorder end and two high end custom computers on the digital end with an array of various things in between, including Soffit mount custom monitors, and other custom built fixtures, such as a custom built Twin 16track machine rack, and other things.

Here is an overview of what I could bring to the table.

First off, is my custom console, which has been a staple of my studio for over 10 years. This console is a welded Steel frame, which houses the following, but not limited as there is tons of room for FX, amps, digital gear etc. My finances haven't allowed me to finish it the way I originally intended, but it does have some very unique advantages. But more on that later
Currently, the heart of the console is my Tascam M-3700 32 channel mixer with bar meter, and includes the JC Cooper automation package. Although, I still need a certain Mac computer to interface with the JC Cooper unit.
At each end of the mixer, there are rackmount units for whatever one needs, with enough rackspaces to hold an abundance of various units. There is a full length meter/monitor bridge as well, with enough room for two sets of nearfields, and three computer monitors, which also are part of my studio. See the pic below.
In one of these rackspaces on top, I currently have a Tascam MTS-1000 Midiizer, which is the synchro unit for the two MSR-16 tape machines. It also interfaces with the computers, of which there are two. Each in it's own, custom built soundproof enclosure below the mixer. Also within this enclosure, are two rackmount cases...one at each end.
About the computers themselves. One is based on an EVGA 3xSLI Classified x58, with an Intel i7/975 processor and medium price point GPU for two monitors. On the audio end, I have an M-audio 1010lt interface. The other computer is for other tasks, being a Gigabyte Pentium4 3.3ghz processor and standard other components. However, both are in custom modded cases, being reversed rackmounted on drawer guides, which allow them to be pulled out the rear of the enclosure for maintenance etc. Both have custom Hard drive enclosures with 2 decoupled WD Caviar hd's in each one. You would have to see everything in person to know how much work went into building these. Took a year.
Anyway, I have the standard homestudio array of other gear, like Mics, stands, amps, headphones/amps, Strat and amp, FX/compressors, timecode, patchbays, cableing, lighting etc etc etc. If you are interested, I can provide a precise list. Most is semi-pro, home recording level but still of practical value to recording. Not a whole lot, but what I do have represents a core Analog/Digital hybrid. Add some other things to this core, and a room or two and we could have a very nice setup.
If you are interested, PM me, and we will talk. Frankly, I'm getting old(68) and depending on distance, probably won't use the studio very much. My interest is seeing a studio FINISHED, and up and running. I've been a recording enthusiast for over 30yrs, and have yet to see mine done. This is where you come in. If you have a room or two, or a small building, I have a complete woodworking shop, can design, build, and partially equip a nice home studio, or, for that matter, given some resources, a small commercial studio as well. BTW, for a small period of time, I was involved with JH Brandt, who is a Pro studio designer, and member here who can vouch for my skillsets, as I was doing pro level CAD work for one of his studio design projects.
So, if you are interested, shoot me a PM and we'll go from there. I am moving to central Michigan come July 1st. And I need a place to put this stuff. Let's talk. My name is Rick

PS. Well, I see HR STILL has a problem with attaching or inserting photos. I tried to upload some from both the forum "attachment" list of files I've uploaded in the past, and from my hosting site. NEITHER work... same old shit at HR. damn I can't believe they haven't fixed this bullshit yet. This crap has been going on for over two years. sheeeezus.:facepalm::cursing::wtf:

Ok, if you want to see what I have, shoot me a PM and I'll email you some pics.

studio.jpg
View attachment 79868

sooprise sooprise sooprise...well I'll be ..I actually got the attachment thing to finally work.:facepalm:

will wonders ever cease:D

Attachments

• New Stingray Boundaries 2c Rear.jpg
    New Stingray Boundaries 2c Rear.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 67
  • is.php?i=1167&img=3649Corrected_Front.jpg
    is.php?i=1167&img=3649Corrected_Front.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 63
  • is.php?i=1430&img=Tape_machine_fi.jpg
    is.php?i=1430&img=Tape_machine_fi.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 64
  • is.php?i=914&img=5_Scheme_1_Moni.jpg
    is.php?i=914&img=5_Scheme_1_Moni.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 64
Hey Rick, I see you came back.

Good luck with the pending move.

Many of us survive in small studios, even if it's just the corner of a spare room. Hopefully, you'll find a way to keep recording. :)

Hi chili! Hey, thanks for the encouragement. Fact is, at my age my hearing sucks, so I was thinking maybe I could find someone willing to partnership with in Michigan. If not, well, like you said. I'll just make do. Which won't be the first time. Hahahahaha.

Neat place, is that sketchup design following Bogic's MyRoom design principal with the air transparent diffusors? Looks really good.

is that sketchup design following Bogic's MyRoom design principal with the air transparent diffusors?

Hello Alex(that is your name isn't it?). Sorry, I've been so busy packing to move I haven't popped in here lately. To answer your question...youbetcha. Best idea I've ever seen, although, this was just rough guessing based on a few assumptions, a few questions to Boggy, and a chunk of hubris:D... vs Boggy's calculated version.:facepalm::o. It was basically an experiment to see if they would fit. However, it's all moot now. Packing my studio as I type:cursing::p. It absolutely astounds me how much crap I've collected, never having time to hook it all up. Oh well, life's a gamble..and I pretty much gambled on finishing this thing. Life had other plans for me though.

Btw, I'm surprised you didn't see those when I posted them at 'slutz. Naturally though, there are those who like to make light of peoples efforts, of which I got plenty when I posted them. Frankly though..after spending nearly 15 yrs on these forums, it didn't surprise me nor did I care. I've learned enough now that I basically don't give a flying fuck anymore. Thanks for your kind words though.

Actually, a few months back I had the good fortune to work for John Brandt for about a month, doing some AutoCAD detailing of a studio he designed. Once I saw how a real studio is put together, the financial reality hit me hard. That's when I kinda dropped everything, and made some decisions that had to be made. Hence the move. On that note, gotta go now. 3 weeks left to pack a 2500sf house. Arrrrrrrrggggggggrrrrrrrrr...I HATE MOVING!!

Back