I Have A Few Mixer Questions...

KiFF BluEs

Hi, I have a few questions (no kidding? :D )

1. I've been reading the Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:2 manual and it says this about it's internal effects:

Can be configured in single mode (16 programs fed from aux 5) or Dual mode (8 programs fed from aux 5 plus another 8 programs fed from aux 6). FX are returned via ST1 to the mix, aux 1-4.
Does that mean I have to patch AUX 5 to my recorder in order to record the mix with the internal effects?

2. Are you able to make subgroups on the MixWizard mixers? There are no subouts or anything. I'd need to make subgroups to make analog mixing easier, I only have 2 hands! (Or maybe I should try and get a digital mixer with automation.)

3. If I used an analog mixer with my computer based setup I'd most likely mix out of the box. However, if I wanted to mix ITB one day, could I do that without unpatching anything? In other words, I'd leave everything how it is and wouldn't use the analog to mix. I would mix/mixdown using the software instead, even though the mixer is hooked up.

4. (This kind of goes along with #3) If I had monitors plugged into my analog mixer will it only monitor my analog mixer or will it monitor the software mixer too?

Thank you :)

Not sure about the effects routing.

The MixWizard 14:4:2 has four subgroups plus the stereo master buss. However, it only has 10 mic preamps (plus two stereo line level channels), and no internal effects. I guess you would have to decide which you need more...subgroups or effects (bearing in mind that you can always pick up a decent used multieffect unit on the cheap that is probably comparable to those built into the MixWiz 16:2). The 14:4:2 also has a routing matrix that looks fairly comprehensive for the board's small format. You could probably use this to set up cue mixes and whatnot. Another pretty neat (I think) feature of some of the MixWiz boards is the Sys-Link feature. I'm not sure if it comes standard or has to be purchased as an option, but basically it allows you to chain multiple MixWiz boards together, so you could, if you wanted chain two 14:4:2s together and have yourself 20 mic preamps and four busses. The 16:2 can link to the 14:4:2, but the channels on the 16:2 won't have bussing capability as the board is not set up for it. Really, when it comes down to it, if you're looking at two MixWiz series boards you'd probably be better off jumping to a GL series or something comparable.

For switching from OTB to ITB mixing, what I would do is dedicate one of your card's stereo output pairs as a sort of 2-track return, and connect it to the board's 2-mix. When you're doing an OTB mix (which, I would presume, you were mixing back down to your computer, but maybe not), you would use this to listen to your playback of your stereo mix. For ITB mixing, then, you could simply route all of the channels out of that particular stereo pair, and monitor it on the board's 2-mix. That's kind of how I do my mixing: HD24 outputs through my board to a stereo input pair on my Echo Layla recording my stereo mix onto my PC. I have a stereo output pair routed to my board's 2-mix input, so I just route the stereo mix out through this output pair, push the "monitor from 2-mix" button on my board, hit play on my PC, and listen to my mix.

It looks like on the MixWiz boards, you would want your 2-mix to be plugged into the board's "ST2" input. You'd connect your monitors to the A-B output, and connect the main stereo output to your mixdown unit (probably your computer interface). Set the A-B output to get its source from "Monitor" (rather than "Alt L-R output"). Then use the switches above the MixWiz master section to select which signal you want to monitor: any or all of the Aux sends, the ST2 (2-mix) input, the effects buss, or the main stereo mix. There is a separate volume pot for the monitors. Bring your main faders up to the point where you're getting a good level but not overloading (doesn't need to be too hot with 24 bit digital recording), and then adjust the monitor volume pot to bring your monitors volume to a desirable level.

Last edited:
I realized I can get an MX9000 8-bus console for less than the 14:4:2. You think that would be a better option?

And I didn't really understand your explanation of the OTB/ITB mixing. I'll tell how how I'd have everything routed for OTB mixing and maybe it will help explain it better:

Mics > Mixer channels 1-8
Mixer Direct Outputs 1-8 > Delta 1010 Inputs 1-8 (for tracking)
Delta 1010 Outputs 1-8 > Mixer Inputs 9-16 (for monitoring, mixing)
Mixer Main Outs > A second interface's inputs 1-2 (for recording the mix)
Mixer Monitor Outputs > Control Room Monitors

So that would let me track in the software, send it out to the mixer for mixing, then back to the computer to record the stereo mix. So if one day I decided, "I don't want to mix out of the box" what do I have to do? (Adam, you may have explained it, but I couldn't really understand it. I'm a little noobie)

I don't knwo anything about that other console you've mentioned. Is it a Behringer? I'll reserve judgment on those for those who've used them

Anyways, you're pretty much on the ball with the ITB/OTB thing. I just wouldn't really see a need for a second interface, as you likely won't be tracking anything come mixdown time, so you can just use one of the stereo pairs on the 1010. You might have to repatch but this is a minor inconvenience, and can be solved with a patchbay if you really want to make it easier.

Is the interface you have the rackmount with the TRS connections, or the breakout with RCA connections? If I recall correctly, the rackmount version does have a dedicated "master" stereo output (basically, just an extra stereo output...8 in, 10 out total). In mixing OTB, you basically route each channel in your audio program to an individual output on your interface (as a sidebar, you could use the software to set up your submixes this way, rather than having all of your submixes on the board). For ITB mixing, you would route all of the signals to one common output on your interface, and run this output to the board's ST2 input for monitoring.

Yes, it's a Behringer. Here's the link: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHMX9000

But I still want to know about the internal effects thing on the MixWizard. I'd have the Mixer Main Outs > interface/recorder inputs 1-2 for recording the mix. But would I need to patch anything else to the interface/recorder's inputs in order to have the effects recorded? Or do the main outs just cover everything?

Also, I just have a general question about using external effects (compressors, reverb, etc). Do most people just leave those unplugged while tracking and then when mixing you just plug them in?

Hi this is a little off your topic but I was just wondering what software you're using for tracking? I have a similar setup and I am using Cakewalk Homestudio XL but you can only output like 2 things at once. Thanks for your time.

Back