i have a big question...

dcptnsdcvd

below is a list of mics i am intrested in (heard were the best by popular opinion.
can anyone really get into detail with me, why the audix mics are any better than the carvin mics listed? and if it is possible to alter the carvin ones and get better performance? i have ready that the carvin are cardioid and the audix are hypercardioid. i imagine that hypercardioid are better to have, being they provide more isolation. so can i make a cardioid into a hypercardioid??

i have bought carivn before and have always been satisfied, but i dunno about drum mics. they look very "budget" and they're damn cheap.
the audix ones are very popular and said to be great. they're a bit more pricy, but seem much higher quality.

here are the frequency responces and max spl of each if it will help. i hope it does, i'd really like to understand what makes a good mic.

Audix D series mics
http://www.audixusa.com/dseries.htm

D1
Frequency Resonce: 46 Hz - 18 kHz
Max SPL: 144db

D2
Frequency Responce: 44 Hz - 18 kHz

D3
Frequency Responce: 50 Hz - 19 kHz

D4
Frequency Responce: 38 Hz - 19 kHz

carvin dynamic drum mics
http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?P1=MIC

D42 - snare/tom - direct: $49
Frequency Response
D42: 80Hz to 13kHz

Maximum SPL (@1%THD)
CMST1: >130dB

D44 bass - direct: $59
Frequency Response
D44: 20Hz to 10kHz

Maximum SPL (@1%THD)
D44D1: >140dB

CMBD1 dynamic bass drum - direct: $59
Frequency Response
CMBD1: 30Hz to 15kHz

Maximum SPL (@1%THD)
CMBD1: >140dB

CMST1 snare/tom - direct: $49
Frequency Response
CMST1: 70Hz to 15kHz

Maximum SPL (@1%THD)
CMST1: >130dB

thanx,
Mike...

I've found it pretty hard to find any correlation between microphone specs and musical usefulness.

Also, cardioid and hypercardioid to not provide any more or less "isolation" from eachother - they just provide it in a different pattern or direction.

Ideally, you can listen and test competing microphones and decide what sounds best to you. Buying mics by comparing specs is kind of like choosing a wife by looking at a resume... it helps a whole lot more to get some "hands-on" experience!

Sorry i can't help you with your Audix/Carvin comparison... I've never used either. I'm not sure whose "popular opinion" deigned them the best... I've never heard them described that way. Maybe it's because I'm so unpopular... :(

generally you want to use a hypercardoid if your ceiling is lower than 8 ft. Anything higher than 8ft you should use a cardoid.

Supercardioid works well with ceilings under that limit too, though I really never thought much about it.

I like the isolation that the super provides off-axis at about 120 degrees left and right. It's great for stage monitors at those placement angles.

It also allows me to mic up an acoustic guitar five feet from the monitors at a moderate volume level to play along with a CD or tape. If you experiment with doing this, I guarantee you will find out exactly were the off-axis points are. I used the polar graph and a protractor to get it roughed in, and after years of using the same mic, I know 'em like the back of my hand. If you don't have the polar pattern graph, you're on your own.

Mr. Dog is correct about comparing specs to buy something. I asked a similar question awhile back because I was unable to actually get my hands on a piece of gear to test it against others of comparable quality. Wish I could remember what that was. Now that's gonna bug me all night.

I think you should let your ears be your judge. Unfortunately, it's not always possible as in my case. Sometimes you'll have to take a chance and buy one from a place you can return it to if you don't like it. Watch out here. Not everyplace will allow you to return microphones even if they take returns on everything else.

Or you could just get a 441 and not have to worry about a return.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I used to work in a music store that pushed Audix hard, esp. the OM dynamics series and the VX-10 live condenser, and I gradually became a believer. A-B'ed the OM-5 to a SM58 and strongly preferred the Audix. I still have my sights set on their CX-111 for vocals someday. Sounded great whenever I demo'ed it.

As far as their drum packs though, I know we sold a lot to seemingly intelligent clientele but I never used em.

stone

Back