I have 6 mics, how would you use them?

NTK88

Ok I have 3 shure sm-57 mics, a shure Beta-52, an Oktavia mk-202 (or some model number) studio condensor, and some old audio technica regular mic.

We have the abaility to record up to 4 mics at once mixed down to 2 tracks, or record all up to 4 onto 1 track.

We have been using 1 sm-57 on a guitar cab for the guitar, using the beta-52 and sm-57 blended together on the bass, and the beta on the kick, and sm 57 on the snare and overheads.

Do you think there are better ways to go about recording to get a nicer sound using different mics, or combinations?

NTK88 said:
Do you think there are better ways to go about recording to get a nicer sound using different mics, or combinations?
There are *different* ways, it's up to you to decide what's "better" for your tastes and ear.

But coming in to the situation cold, here's what I'd try first off:

Stereo 57s on the drums
Beta 52 on the kick
The third 57 or the cheapo AT on the git cab
Run the bass direct

That'll give you 4 tracks of stereo rhythm section along with guitar that you can submix to stereo. Go back and overdub the lead vocals with either the Oktavia or with a good vocal mic that you either borrow, rent or save up to buy and fold that into the stereo mix. Similar with any supporting vocals.

G.

if you can track everything seperatly, beta 52 on kick, 57 on snare, and 2 57's overhead. Mixdown to 2 tracks, then bass and guitar on remaining tracks.

Back