I HATE THIS when it happens!

Just finished a few hours of recording today but not without incident.

I pushed the "plastic" return to beginning button on my Yam 2816 and it popped downward.

I've done this before on tape decks. I managed to pry the button back up and if I push it gently, it will work.

Question: How much is this going to cost to fix? I dread the act of packing up the unit and paying the shipping. So, I may just let it kind of hang in there and use the unit.

Funny, I recently was thinking of buying a back-up SIAB and now I may have to do that.

Jeffrey: if you read this, give me some advice please.

Thanks in advance to ALL advice from the intelligent folks out there. ;)

Green Hornet :D

i don't know the unit but have you considered fixing it from parts or another on you cud score on ebay?

:D Yo Junplugged:

Thanks for the idea. But, I think I'll use the unit since I "kind of" fixed the button.

I had a similar problem once with a cassette deck and I used that box for over a year as the contact was easily pushed in via my index.

If the spring device is plastic, I can see where, heat, perhaps may have weakened it. Had a related experience with my dishwasher and watched to repairman fix it--just a plastic template behind the "push" switch and one plastic springs broke.

At any rate, there are good deals on Yam's replacement SIAB units and I will probably wind up with one of those since I'm familiar with the navigation--AG16 I believe is the latest unit. Good deals on the Korgs too.

Thanks again,
Green Hornet :D

Hey there, Hornet. Very sorry to hear about your sticky knob (no pun intended). I seem to remember reading some feedback about this problem over at the Yammie forum a while back. Do you still visit there? If not, I'd be happy to post your question there for you. Just let me know.

http://forum.dijonstock.com

Also, I think the newer Yammie you mention is the aw1600, a 24-bit version of the older aw16g. The larger model is the aw2400, also 24-bit. Both have added usb ports and a few other tricks.

Good luck, fellow Michigander. Go Wings.

J.

:D Hey :Jeffrey:

Well, after a bit of surgery with my pen-knife, I've raised the "return to beginning" button and I can use it; I just have to push it gently. I've had similar experiences with spring-loaded push-type switches on various gear, including my Bosch dishwasher, which I had repaired by Bosch-person.

So, I'm looking over choices to buy a second unit, SIAB type. I might give the BOSS unit a look as I really like the Boss 880 drum box. Very cool patches and lots of them.

I don't need more than 12 tracks for my work; however, I do want to be able to record at least 4/5 tracks at once and I'm sure one of the Boss units does that.

Thanks for the help and suggestions; I don't visit the AW16 site too much and now with the pending new golf season, time is limited to golf and recording.

Since I'm a Chicago transplant to Michigan, I still cheer for the CUBS but good luck to all of our Michigan teams too.

Green Hornet

Congrats on your repair, Hornet. I've read a lot about the Boss multitrackers and have the idea that they're great machines for a certain audience but can be frustrating for others. This SOS review, in particular, led me in other directions when I was in the market:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/articles/bossbr1600.htm

Either way, there are certainly a lot of solid choices out there these days. Good luck with your search, man.

J.

Back