I gotta new guitar!

gibson59neck

Villiage Idiot Keeper
Hey all you out there! Anyone like to share their opinion of Carvin? Just curious - I just got a mid-80's CM140, in trade for my Mexi Thinline Tele - it is sweet. Anyone else ever played one?

TelePaul said:
I know theres some carvin players here...maybe '60s guy? I'm not too sure.

Arvo-aka APL is the supreme Carvin supporter on this website-he will probably be around any minute.
I looked that model up, very nice Les Paul style with some hot rod electronics in it, and versatile looking as well. Is it a set neck or bolt on-I saw a picture of a 1974 model that was a bolt on, maybe it was just on the early model.
I have a Carvin 620 powered mixer that is a great mixer for small club gigs, rock solid and clean and powerful. :D

Anfontan said:
Arvo-aka APL is the supreme Carvin supporter on this website-he will probably be around any minute.
I looked that model up, very nice Les Paul style with some hot rod electronics in it, and versatile looking as well. Is it a set neck or bolt on-I saw a picture of a 1974 model that was a bolt on, maybe it was just on the early model.
I have a Carvin 620 powered mixer that is a great mixer for small club gigs, rock solid and clean and powerful. :D

I've got a DC135 I converted to a DC145. 60s has a Bolt kit he built.

I forgot, I also have 2 Carvin single coils in a guitar I built years ago, they sound better than the factory pickups in my sunburst Fender strat by a long shot too. Quiet as can be also!

Last edited:
If it's from mid 80's it should be Koa body and neck. That's a great combination IMO. I own a half dozen Carvin guitars. ;) Oh, ditch the pickups!

Anfontan said:

Mine has a set neck that is all sexy and rounded for easy access to those 24 frets! The fine tuners are awesome, and the electronics give it a lot of options - just have to get it cleaned out and tightened up inside so it is perfect...This thing may well my main squeeze for a while as smooth as it plays it's just hard to put down. ( Sorry to my LP, it will be jealous!)

Micter said:
If it's from mid 80's it should be Koa body and neck. That's a great combination IMO. I own a half dozen Carvin guitars. ;) Oh, ditch the pickups!

Mine is the Maple/clear finish - I kinda like the pickups so far - m22's, I think - why ditch them? If so, what do you recommend - some other Carvins, or another brand? The only time I used aftermarket pickups were in a Strat, and they were hotrails.

gibson59neck said:
Mine is the Maple/clear finish - I kinda like the pickups so far - m22's, I think - why ditch them? If so, what do you recommend - some other Carvins, or another brand? The only time I used aftermarket pickups were in a Strat, and they were hotrails.

If it's Maple don't worry about it. Maple is a really bright sound so the muddy Carvin pups will actually help. I much prefer the Seymour Duncan line of PAF style pickups in Carvin guitars. A set of SD Phat Cats might be a great option for a Maple guitar.

BTW I sold some of my C22's to APL and I'm glad he likes them. One man's trash is another man's treasure! ;)

Micter said:
BTW I sold some of my C22's to APL and I'm glad he likes them. One man's trash is another man's treasure! ;)

I have to pay people to take my trash away.

Anyway, my main enthusiasm revolves around Carvins' playability. And the ebony fingerboards. And thanks for the pups. Made all the difference.

Micter said:
If it's Maple don't worry about it. Maple is a really bright sound so the muddy Carvin pups will actually help. I much prefer the Seymour Duncan line of PAF style pickups in Carvin guitars. A set of SD Phat Cats might be a great option for a Maple guitar.

I heard that Maple is brighter than say mahogany or other hardwoods, but that with age it mellows out a bit - All I know is that my Carvin sounds really good, and has lots of different options with all those little toggles. I spent Saturday night getting to know it better and ended up playing it for 2 and 1/2 hours straight. I was told when I got it that I might want to play it more than my Les Paul - that might actually be true for a while! :D

I've got a DC 400 custom neck-thru that's got a playability that just kicks. Great guitar. Excellent quality.
I'll be snaggin one of their basses next. :D

I just can't believe that the guy was willing to trade even for my Mexican Thinline Tele - it was a good guitar, but it was a far cry from the Carvin. Must have been the way I kept wimpering...Regardless, the mid-80's CM 140 is a sweeet gitter...

Micter said:

Is it a bitch to wire in replacement PU's in a stereo guitar? Since I ahven't played this thing with the band yet ( will tomorrow) I don't know how it will sound overall. Thanks for the info tho...

gibson59neck said:
Is it a bitch to wire in replacement PU's in a stereo guitar? Since I ahven't played this thing with the band yet ( will tomorrow) I don't know how it will sound overall. Thanks for the info tho...

It's no different than swapping pups in any other guitar.

Back