I Gotta Get Rid of This Band....

Hey, I'm first!

In order of impressions...

Fun song. Fun band, too. I like the rockabilly feel of it.

Solid drummer. Drums not overwhelming, but not lost, either.

Good recording, esp. for a live recording. Would be nice if you could tame the reverb, esp. on vocals, but you get what you get live. If it's a real "breezeway, I'd say you did pretty good with what you had to work with.

Like the "full" tone the lead guitar has. Good bass without being boomy, but could be a bit more up front in the mix.

What, no audience reaction??? Seriously, you NEED that in this recording.

The verb was my doing. Since they were playing outside (well almost outside), in an area only covered by tarps, there was no natural reverb. I have the red neck to prove they were outside. I was trying to get an old country feeling and used a small plate reverb setting. When I started recording MANY years ago I could get that same sound for the country bands using an EMT plate, quite a large plate. The country bands then insisted on it, and I just felt it fit the feel of the singer's voice. He just listened for the first time this afternoon and was pleased with the results. Being outside, it's often tough to get an audience reaction on "tape". Also, in this place they sit rather far away from the performance area, which doesn't help. A good time was had by all though.

Well, then find some sound effects recording and dub some audience "reaction" in. It is really needed.

Back