I got my TASCAM 488 today and I have alot of questions

cjx

I'm really surprised how much I don't know about this thing. I have no users manual so I need to ask you experts some questions... My first question is, how do I record four tracks at one time (with mics)? There's those switches right under the numbers on the top of the machine that have three postitions: MIX - OFF - GRP #... what do these switches do? I've noticed that when it is in the MIX position on all the tracks I've recorded, it re-records it onto the next track.... When I put it on GRP its mono, but when I play it back, I have no control over the tacks (volume, fading, high, low). Whats this all about? Then there are those two buttons right above the faders that say "Asssign" the first button is labeled 1/L-2/R and the second one says 3-4, I'm just totally confused about these things. Can anybody fill me in please? I'm so confused, and I want to get started working with this thing ASAP so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Hello! I bought a 488MKII this past summer. Is that the model you have, too? There's the 488, and there's the 488MKII. They're essentially the same in the way they operate. Fear not; they're not so tough to use, so don't despair.

First, always be sure your unit is clean. The 488, that is. You may want to consider whther or not it needs a head alignment, too. How much was it used before you bought it?

Okay, now that I've read your post again, it seems you have the original 488. No sweat. I don't have my 488 in front of me, but I'll see what I can do.

Before recording, set the selector switch to "input" on all the tracks you'll be recording on. The 488 MKII has a 3-position switch that reads input, tape, mix, but in your case, I GUESS that means select "GRP." You'll also need to put those tracks in "record ready" mode - look on your LCD display for these buttons. When you press them, the corresponding track should blink red. When you go into record, the red light stays on.

"Assign" tells the machine which group you'll be recording in. Group 1 = tracks 1&5; Group 2 = tracks 2&6; Group 3 = 3&7; Group 4 = 4&8. You can only record on one or the other at once in each group. For example, if you record on track 1, you can't record on track 5 at the same time. Thus, if you're trying to do four at once, you could record on 1,2,3,4, or 5,6,7,8, or 2,3,4,5, or 3,4,5,6... you see?

To record something on tracks 1 and 2, "Assign" should be 1L/2R. For tracks 3 and 4, "Assign" is set at 3-4. For tracks 5 and 6, "Assign" 1L/2R; for 7 and 8, "Assign" 3-4.

Please note that if you press both assign switches down, you're sending the signal you're trying to record to both busses. This may be why all your sounds were mixed together. Follow the assignment moves I mentioned above.

If you're recording with 4 mics simultaneously in the same room, you may also be getting leakage - that is, the sound source being picked up by one mic is also bleeding into one or more of the other three. Check how your mics are isolated from each other.

Where was I? Ah, yes - 1/L, 2/R tells you that when recording on all odd-numbered tracks (1,3,5,7), the pan control for those tracks should be rotated full left. Turn the pan knob full right when recording on even-numbered tracks (2,4,6,8). With me so far?

Don't use the mix mode to record. If it works like the 488MKII, that mode is for when you need extra inputs at mixdown - you can patch in the line-outs from a midi-sequenced keyboard, etc.

I hopw I didn't confuse you any further. Anyway, try these things and see if you get better results. If you don't... well, you know where to find us!

Good luck ~

Bruce in Korea

More questions

Ok, I got it to record on tracks 1 and two fine, but since there is no trim knobs, how do I get any signal on the rest of the inputs (with a mic)? Do I need to buy a preamp to boost the signal? When I am recording track by track with one mic, is there a way I can just use input one for all the tracks (since one and two are the only ones that have trim adjustments)? Also, I dont really understand the concept of why the pan needs to be adjusted according to wheather the track is even or odd. I also don't get why some tracks are 1/L-2/R and some are 3-4 (all in all I don't see why it wouldn't be consistant). I really have had no luck recording on anything but the first two tracks now, but its a start. I really appreciate the responses!!!:D

thanks!

More 488 stuff

Yes, you certainly can keep your mic plugged into one input and record on any track. I do this all the time. That's what the "Assign" switch and pan knobs will allow you to do. In record mode, "Assign" and pan tell the machine where the signal is to be routed to.

Let's say you want to record a miked signal onto track 8:

1. Plug your mic into the channel 1 input. Press the "Assign" switch for 3-4 (since track 8 is part of Group 4. Remember GRP1 = tracks 1&5, GRP2 = 2&6, GRP 3 = 3&7, GRP 4 = 4&8).

2. Next, turn the channel 1 pan contol to the right because you're sending the signal to an even-numbered track. Again, left pan = tracks 1,3,5,7; right pan = tracks 2,4,6,8.

3. Activate the record ready button on track 8.

4. Turn up the gain control on channel 1 to somewhere between the 12 o'clock - 2 o'clock position.

5. Bring up both the master faders and the channel 1 fader to about 7 (there should be a shaded area on each fader).

6. Now, speak into the mic while looking at the display. You should see a signal for track 8.

As for using an external preamp, you shouldn't have to, but if you happen to have one of those then it's MUCH better to use that than the cheesy built-in preamps on the 488. This is pretty much true for most all multitrack machines - even the digital ones. That's one area where the manufacturers cut costs. Alternatively, if you happen to have a small Mackie mixer like the 1202VLZ, you'd be much better off using the mic pre's in that. At any rate, the general rule-of-thumb when miking is to get as hot a signal as possible FROM THE SOURCE. If you're miking a guitar amp, for example, turn up the amp or re-position the mic before you go turning up the trim on the 488. The less trim you can get by with, the better. Less trim = less noise.

Finally, don't be afraid to experiment. Pop a fresh tape in, and have a go. That's usually the best way to figure out stuff on these machines. There's really nothing you can damage by doing so. Personally, I think they're pretty fun to use.

Let me know how it goes. Hope this helps.

Bruce in Korea

Last edited:
Didn't Work

Okay, I did what you said to do to patch the signal from the first input to track eight, but that didn't work. Am I supposed to do something with the input assign? What do I switch the assign (not the input assign) to on track eight? One other question. Theres those buttons on the side that say "LOC 1" and "LOC 2"... what do those do? What does the cue master knob do? By the way I really appreciate the help you've given me. I just really want to get the input one to track eight thing figured out.

Thanks

this also

the only time I can get a signal in track eight is when I am plugged into input four and the input assign is set to "GRP 4"

...and the 488 continues

As long as your mic is plugged into a channel that has a preamp (trim), you're set. Does your machine have a trim contol on Channel 4? I don't think it does, unless it's a 488MKII. I think the original 488 only has trim on the first two channels. If this is the case, then you'll never be able to get a signal through it that's hot enough to record unless you hook up an external preamp.

Always think, "WHERE AM I SENDING THE SIGNAL TO?" If you want to send the signal to track 8, then all the controls of the channel that your mic is plugged into should be set up to accommodate track 8. You want to "aim" your signal at track 8. "GRP 4" should be activated. "Assign" should be set to 3-4, no matter if you're plugged into channel 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. because you're SENDING the signal to group #4. Turn the pan contol of whichever input you're plugged into to the right. (Track 8 is an even-numbered track.) You shouldn't have to mess with anything on track 8 itself except the record-ready button under your display. This is because the place where you've plugged the mic into is going to be the thing that decides where the signal goes. Again, if you're plugged into channel 1, 2, 3, or 4, set up that channel to send to track 8.

LOC 1 and LOC 2 are tape locate points. You use these when you want to return to a specific part of the tape. Say you're recording a song and the tape counter is at 346 and you want to be able to locate that place quicky. Press LOC 1 and ....voila! It gets marked for you so you can return to it in a flash. AND, if you want to work on a section of a song - say a riff or something that lasts for 5-10 seconds - just press LOC 1 at the beginning of where it starts and LOC 2 at the end of it and the tape will continually "loop" the section between the two locate points. It'll stop when it gets to LOC 2 and rewind itself to LOC 1 and replay until it gets to LOC 2, over and over... You see? That way, you can keep on practicing that section of the song without having to continually stop, start, and rewind the machine yourself. A handy feature, for sure, but I'll admit that I've never used it myself.

"Cue Master" is the master volume of the cue stage. "Cue" is the mode you should be in when you're overdubbing. This means that, when you've already recorded a track, you need to listen back to that track through the cue monitor section of your multitrack. It's VERY important to know that you only use the channel faders (the long sliders, that is) to adjust the volume of the signal you're recording. (You also use these to adjust volume when you mixdown onto, say, a standard cassette or DAT.) HOWEVER, after you've recorded something on, let's say, track 1, and you want to record on track 2, you DO NOT monitor the signal you just recorded on track 1 by using the channel 1 fader!! Keep that fader all the way down. You listen to what you've already recorded through the cue system. This allows you to monitor what you've already recorded without accidentally re-recording the old signal onto a new track. Set channel 1 for cue, and adjust the volume of track 1 in your headphones by using the cue control and/or Cue Master. Your machine should have both of these. I'm guessing there's a cue control or some little knob above each track that says "tape" on it (?) Anyway, that's the knob you want to turn up to listen back to what you've recorded while you're recording something else. The "Cue Master" just controls the overall volume of all of the individual "tape" or "cue" knobs.

If you forget to do this and keep the fader of track 1 up while you record track 2, the machine will mix the two tracks' signals together onto the track you're recording on. THE ONLY FADER YOU SHOULD HAVE UP IS THE ONE YOU'RE PRESENTLY RECORDING ON! This may be why you accidentally re-recorded your tracks. Again, monitor what you've already recorded through the "Cue Monitor" system in your multitrack.

Keep plugging away, and don't be afraid to make mistakes! This is how you learn to use your machine.

Cheers!

Bruce in Korea

Last edited:
I got it!!!

Ok, I just figured out how to use the first input on all the tracks... I basiaclly did what you said except I switched the input assign to "mix." I think I can take it from here. thanks alot for your help!

Happy 488-ing!

Congratulations! I hope you're able to do everything you want to do.

By the way, if you contact the TEAC company, they should be able to get you a manual for your 488. These days, it's pretty much the norm to be able to download them from the internet, but because the 488 is an older unit, its manual isn't available that way. (Guess how I found this out...) However, if you contact their parts department at the following address, they should be able to get one for you, which they would then send via snail mail:

parts@teac.com

Have fun with your 8-track!

Bruce in Korea

Back