i got my hands on a mixer!!!!!!

LmusikG

whats up, i just got my hands on a new mixing console for my home stuido. And i wanted to know if anybody could advised me on how to hook it to my pc. Im running pro tools and i want to use the pres on the mixer. The mixer is a little old but it still works(yamaha mx 12/6). i have my money tied up into alot of other things(music related) to up grade right now. so if i can get some help with this it would be coo

one thing you need to get audio from that mixer to your computer is an audio interface or a soundcard. It just takes the audio from your inputs (in this case, the mixer) and feeds it into the computer via USB.

Like you, i'm on a budget too. Here's an audio interface that I have that's worth the money, but has its drawbacks. Its called the BEHRINGER UCA202, and its a standard USB interface. I will tell you how to connect things later in this post. It only lets you record 1 track at a time. What I mean is that if you are recording drums from all your microphones, it will condense all the sound into one track. This might not be what you're looking for if you want to have separate tracks to mix the kick, overheads, snare, etc... since this will only leave you with one track coming from your mixer.

Setup is a breeze! You only need a standard RCA cable (the one with the red and white jacks on each side). You plug that from your mixer (put the cable end into the RCA jacks that say "output" near the mic-inputs.) into the audio interface input RCA connectors, and straight to your computer from the USB. Make sure your input device is set to "USB audio codec"

Heres a link for the interface:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHUCA202

Hope that helps!

Back