I Got A Deep Voice So What Mic Should I Use!?

h i p h o p

I have a AT3035...and my quality seems like its not up to par, but my friends sounds perfect, cause he has a higher pitch voice. IS IT THE MIC??? or would i have to do different mixing, and if so can i get some TIPS??!??! and I rap, if that helps! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

and ALSO whats the -10 cut mean on the mic??

The -10 is the amount in decibels that you can "turn down" the mic. Mostly used for loud sources. Really, with that mic, you shouldn't be having problems based on just a deep voice. I would guess it is a placement issue, or maybe it just doesn't suit your voice's characteristics real well. Post some clips if ya got them.

Pete

hmmm....could you give a more detailed description? it could be the mic, as your instincts suggest..or it could just be a matter of your voice not blending well with the beat...if it is bass heavy your friend's voice might just sit better in the mix. the -10 is simply a volume cut. its used when the source signal is very loud and you want to have the preamp closer to its optimal gain level, instead of way down.

thank you. I mean on some beats it sounds decent...but on other beats, it doesn't sound, how i want it to be...but still my friends quality is good on the same beat...if u want check my myspace. the song -SUCK IT OR NOT-, u can see the different. I'am first, and my friend is 2nd, right after me. Thank you for your help.

www.myspace.com/punchesandilly

hmm...don't think I can listen to that one at work...maybe a little later. heh heh.

Try getting away from condensers and more into dynamic mics. If you have a good deep voice then an EV RE20 would probably be a great choice for you. Every time I hear that mic it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I also like dynamics because the tend not to reveal so much of the room noise, which for most of us wouldn't be a desired noise to have on recordings.

thank you...but u think dynamic is the way to go...this is for recording purposes only, no live stuff yet.

AND, it has nothing to do with mixing?...if so what can i do.

Maybe you just don't like what your voice sounds like? I have a deep voice, but I don't rap. I have had good luck with "brighter" sounding mics, like the Rode NT1, on my voice, as they seem to add a little sheen (but it can emphasize sibilance also). I've also used the CAD M179 for spoken word stuff and it sounds very nice. Some folks swear by the Shure SM7b (large diaphragm dynamic) for recording rap vocals.

Really, though, you need to actually test out some different mics and find out what works for you. The "right" mic might even vary according to which song you're recording. That's why it's nice to have a variety around.

h i p h o p said:
thank you...but u think dynamic is the way to go...this is for recording purposes only, no live stuff yet.

AND, it has nothing to do with mixing?...if so what can i do.

I've said it too much already but Michael Jackson's Thriller was recording with a Shure sm7(dynamic mic) and countless others have been recorded on dynamics. A mic being dynamic doesn't mean it's a live use mic. I had a singer in once that only sounded good on my sm57. So don't count out dynamics in your search for a good vocal mic.

based on theoretical mumbo jumbo alone, i would say to look for a mic such as an sm-58 that has a midrange peak around the 2-5k area...in my experience, this helps a lot in making deeper voices(or any source for that matter) come through in the mix, as opposed to using LDC's which often strive to have as flat a response as possible

To me the mic sounds the same with you and your boy. Your delivery is different. Also maybe you aren't 100% used to hearing yourself. You sound good, but I'd compress it a bit. Do you have a pre? I had a AT3035 and that mic should sound goo with your voice. Where are you recording? Room? treatment?

pmdiaz23 said:
To me the mic sounds the same with you and your boy. Your delivery is different. Also maybe you aren't 100% used to hearing yourself. You sound good, but I'd compress it a bit. Do you have a pre? I had a AT3035 and that mic should sound goo with your voice. Where are you recording? Room? treatment?

i got the mobilepre...i record in a tiny room, with auralex foam.

A mobile pre only has Phantom, no gate/eq/comp/limit... in your tiny room do you just have Auralex foam? Do you have carpet? Is your ceiling flat?

Are you using any plugins on your vox?

That mic sounds really good running through a dbx 286a, you can get one off ebay for as cheap as $130.

The dbx 286a offers Comp/EQ/Gate/DeEsser and a very clean sound.

I use an AT 4040 through a DMP3, and seem to have good luck with it capturing my voice cleanly. My room is just a bedroom, with some foam to deaden the noise a bit from outside sources. I seem to have decent results, just takes a bit of tweaking.

pmdiaz23 said:
A mobile pre only has Phantom, no gate/eq/comp/limit... in your tiny room do you just have Auralex foam? Do you have carpet? Is your ceiling flat?

Are you using any plugins on your vox?

That mic sounds really good running through a dbx 286a, you can get one off ebay for as cheap as $130.

The dbx 286a offers Comp/EQ/Gate/DeEsser and a very clean sound.

I'll definitely check that out...the room is like under my stairs. SO one side is slanted...its a room just big enough for a person and a mic.

Back