I got 5 tracks 4 Drums - what mics 2 Buy

MercyfullMusic

I have 5 open tracks for recording for a drum kit and am going to buy drum mics. What should I buy?

I was thinking about the Shure Mic pack with the Beta 52 for Kick, and 3 SM57s. I was going to mic Kick (Beta 52), Snare (57), Hi Hat (57), and either have 2 overheads or 1 overhead and use the other 57 for the toms. Any suggestions? I have no idea what overhead(s) to buy. I have about $ 600 - $ 800 to spend total.

Thanks.

I'd get a pair of Shure SM57s (about $160) a pair of Behringer ECM8000s (about $70) and a pair of Marshall V67Ms (about $200) which would give you dynamics,small condensors and large condensor mics,three pairs for less than $500.
This would give you a good combination of useable "colors" with multiple other micing uses besides just drums.
Tom

The above choices of mics are pretty good indeed

Atm 25 kick
sm 57 snare
mxl 603sx2 overheads
ecm 8000 omnis x2
Mxl v67m
Behringer b2

this little kit of mics will serve you well most people around here know this selection well you cant really go wrong for the price

Pair of Marshall MXL603's for overheads

Shure sm57 on snare

AT ATM Pro 25 on kick

Marshall mxlv67m for a room mic (if the room sound is ok)

these should set you back $350 and you can use the rest for mic stands, clips, quality cables, and good preamps......

I use:

AT Pro 25 (kick)
SM57 (snare)
Behr. ECM8000 (pr for OH)

5 piece Pearl Session Select, 4-6 cymbals + hats, cowbell, etc.

Pete

Overhead: 2 - Marshall mxl 603s ($150)
Kick - ATM Pro 25 ($60)
Snare - SM57 ($75)

That's about all you'll need -- 4 tracks worth of drum mics. $285.

Do not use a 57 on hi-hat! Don't put a dynamic anywhere near a cymbal . . . trust me. :) I'm also not about to recommend the Behringers unless your room sounds damn good.

p.s.

I would rather have the 603's, and I have a nice room in which to use my ecm's, as chess pointed out

Pete

Back