I gave this to A&R at Universal - will they call? haha

Paco

pH meter
Hi all,
I gave my demo http://www.permesso.net/mp3/sorted/Brendan T Brennan/ to Universal Records A&R just for kicks (I do it for the music, not for fame). Some people think my voice is good - personally, I dunno. I could REALLY use some criticism from musicians like you since I highly doubt they'll call!

How's my voice?
How's my guitar playing?
Any drummers in the house with comments?
How are the mixes?

I play all tracks (boss dr770 drums, acoustic/electric guitars, bass, all vocals, all hand percussion). I used Echo Mia, NT1/MXL1006, MXL 603, SM57, ART tube preamp, RNC compressor, Sonar.

Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!

Most people prefer these two tunes of the 6:

I listened to Jersey Transit Train.

I liked your guitar playing. I thought it was recorded well too.

Your voice has a nice tone and presence. So I guess I'd agree with the others who say you have a nice voice. The song suits your vocal style.

The vocals and guitars are really battling it out for space on this song. I would work with some EQing to give each part its own spot.

Are there some minor vocal pitch issues in spots? For example, right when the vocals come in, the harmonies don't sound as smooth as they could. With the harmonies you're using here, every part is going to have to be spot on with no wavering in pitch. You certainly sound capable of doing it, it's just a matter of getting the right take.

The intro was a little on the long side.

I'm focusing too much on the negatives. The song is better than I'm making it sound. But you sound like someone who wants to do his best, so I thought I'd pick the spots where I thought you can make it better.

Trip...

Cool - thanks, Trip! You're definitely right on the vocal steadiness issues in some spots - I finally figured out how to lower the output volume in Sonar so I can hear myself sing in the mix when recording, so it should be easy to fix up those waivering spots! I'll also take a look at some EQ for the vocals/guitars. Thanks again!!!

"Without You"

Definitely like the music... kind of jazzy, adult contemporary...

The only things sticking out as needing attention:

-Too much shelf-boost on the cymbals, and esp. the snare drum... sounds like a cheap EQ boost... way too harsh... crisp, but a "cheap" crisp... this is the "main" issue... if looking for a high-end boost, I'd take that down several notches and do a slight shelf above 7k on the stereo master buss...

-Proximity effect on the vocals makes them a bit "boomy" in places... 6-8 inches away from a good LD condenser would probably alleviate this... sounds like the singer got too close to the mic a few times...

-The room sound on that lead guitar is bothersome... doesn't sound like it fits... too "rockabilly" (?) maybe for the toon... a different reverb would make it sit better, imo.

Good toon :) (as G. says... "w/5")

Chad

Nice tunes.........nice singing................nice guitar playing............all very good. The mix, though, sounds mushy to me. The different parts need some definition and separation. And everything sounds like it was cut just the least bit too hot.
This is real good stuff man, I'd really like to hear it a couple of mixes down the road 'cause it should be pretty amazing.

Back