I found a singer!!!

Calwood

In my last post here,...i was looking for a singer,...well,...I found one,..BUT,...not exactly what i was looking for.
She has a good voice,..but not my style of music. I'll take what i can get,..at the moment.
I've been extremely busy lately,..so i havent posted any mix opinions like I wanted to,.. but I'll get there.

If anyone has some time,.. download a couple of the tunes i did with her and let me know what you think about her voice,..the mix,...the style of music,..etc. etc.

As always,..MUCH appreciated. Be forewarned though I still have no idea why these things wont play lo-fi!!!!! ya gotta download the mp3. Sorry 'bout that.

The two tunes with her singing are "Shades Passing" and Prologue2" The rest are just some old shit i was screwin' around with but your more than welcome to comment on them as well.

Oh,..I think you have to be a registered member of Soundclick to download the mp3s as well. You dont need their player though,..i use winamp myself.

Link,......

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/davejammusic.htm

She's lame dude. No balls, so to speak. Pitch problems too. I Like the music pretty well. Mixwise I cant help much, cause I'm on Lo-fi

You guys got that Cranberries kind of thing goin' on.....

pretty cool.....

music is good man...recording and mix is better on Shades Passing than on the Prolouge 2
prolouge 2 bass and drums are way too far out front of the rest....

plus she really doesn't seem to sing much in Prolouge 2...

her vocal melody is more on the lines of a harmony vox than a lead...

Good luck with your tunes man,
Joe

Hi Calwood, I signed up for soundclick and temp downloaded both songs. I have great headphones and thought they were nice songs. They sort of reminded me of Enya (who I like).

I'm not a pro so I can't comment on much but would like the vocal track to be turned up a bit on Shade's Passing. Both songs sound too much alike and Prologue's bongo drums (if that's the sound) and the "wind/storm" (at the end) are a little too sharp and bassy. The windchime sound was neat. I hope I make some sense! Other than that, I do like them.

mbuster said:
She's lame dude. No balls, so to speak. Pitch problems too. I Like the music pretty well.

Ditto

Did she have a decent monitoring system when she laid the vocals down?That could be part of the problem with the pitch issues.

No. This isn't an ass-kissing forum. I have no illusions about my own abilities, and when I post songs I expect honest critiques from anyone who takes the time to listen. Would you rather have someone blow smoke up your ass and tell you a lackluster performance was awesome? I think you're still upset about my response to your first post in the clinic. Is your wife going to send me another e-mail defending your honor now? I hope so. That was the most entertaining thing I've read in a while.

i listened to both songs:

her singing and your music don't work together in prologue2. i don't think there's anything you can do about that. the music (you wrote for her?) just is not appropriate for her voice. it sounds like you played another artist's CD for her, and she did a karaoke thing. mix was fine.... well, it was actually pretty good (everything BUT the vocals anyway.) but you need to dump her for this song, or write something else for her.

as for shades passing.... i couldn't understand a damn word she was saying. she needs to enunciate!!! this is a problem of less-experienced singers with no vocal training. and again, the music doesn't match the singer. she is a little off in pitch, like guy previous said, but not too far off.... maybe a little Anatares Autotune would fix that. but really, i don't think she's appropriate for this music at all. and get rid of that humming or wailing or whatever you call it that she does......... it REALLY does not sound good with this music. by the way, the mix itself is pretty good i think..... i like the instrumental parts..... it's just her that doesn't work. (oh... and she sounds a little funky in the mix. you gotta try another recording technique on her.... her vocal doesn't sound right)

.....so, my advice?--rewrite everything for her. OR.... probably the best thing to do is let her go and find someone that knows how to produce some good new age tracks for her. i really don't think these songs as they are would sell.

ps.... what mbuster said was true. if your wife really wrote a response to her because of that, well... that really isn't appropriate. he is not personally attacking you.... he's just calling it as he sees the music. not you.

and like i said... he's right. she doesn't have no balls......... now, that ain't a bad thing... it's just not appropriate for this kind of music. like i said before. she needs to do new age or something like that. you listen to enya?--well, she ain't gonna sing as well, but that's the sort of music her voice fits in.

just remember, nothing said here is personal. so don't take it that way.

Just to make clear, the previous post I mentioned was a different one entirely from this. I was talking about a thread this guy made when he first joined the BBS (welcome HeavyD, by the way) and the singer in this thread is not to be confused with Heavy's esteemed wife. The two are in no way connected as far as I know, except that Heavy thinks I responded harshly in this thread and in his old one. Maybe he's right, but I don't think so. Sorry for any confusion Calwood.

Last edited:
Re: Bbuster

HevyD47Ca said:
You really don't have much of a life do ya?
Or maybe it's just women that threaten you?
Looks like you got in there while I was typing my last response, Heavy. Just curious, what do you mean by me not having a life? You're the one who called me out TWICE NOW for stating my opinion, which is the purpose of this board. That's funny. I don't see why you can't just disagree civily like everyone else here. Are you that thin skinned? You're starting to make personal remarks and that's just not cool. Did I ever call you a Loser? No. Did I call your wife a Skank? No. Tell you what. You ignore me and I'll ignore you and nobody else will have to listen to us bicker.

Sorry Calwood, that this had to be dragged up from the past on your post. I hope your friend keeps going with her singing. :)
MBuster is right about one thing, it was from the past, and that's where it should have stayed.

Since MBuster was the one to bring it up (which there was no doubt in my mind that he was juuuust waiting to bring it up at some point) (sarcastic), I feel I should respond. First off, my hubby, didn't know I had emailed you. The only reason I did was to ask you why YOU felt the need to "warn" him (or anyone in particular) about posting cover tunes, that was about it. If he, or anyone else posts "covers", and they get bashed, so be it! You come off very sarcastic and patronizing and you never seem to have a nice thing to say about anyone's stuff (yes there is something called tact even when being critical)....especially to newbies and women! Oh BTW, Mbuster, you also said that you had NOT even listened to the song, which is what pissed me off enough to write you!

Listening to Prologue2. Strange, not that is a bad thing. It sounds pretty good to me. The thing that turns me off in a big hurry is the performance issues. There are alot of hmm let me say, ummmmm timing problems. The guitar, bass, percussion all go off alot. I'd retrack with a click track, (tighten that sucker up)

Listening to shades passing now. Same thing, it just float all over the place. Vocals need to come up some. I kind of like even though it's not my style. Definately need to tighten it up though.

Late reply!!

Wow,..17 replies! Cool! Thanks everyone for listening and giving an opinion. Sorry for not responding sooner,..its that busy thing again!

Overall most of you seem to think she is a lackluster singer. Definite pitch problems. And that terrible wailing!!!! ha ha ha ha. By the way,..i dont really know what to call that either. Well,...it was an expieience! I have one more song with her thats in the works and i'll post it when its done,....

Yeah,..i wrote the music for those songs,..and did all the instrumentation myself. Like i said though it's not really my bag musically,..but it was cool to delve into something else for awhile.

It's funny that The Cranberries and Enya were brought up. That was the sounds that i was going after. At least i accomplished that! But really,..not to beat this into the ground,....thats not my taste in music.

Most of my stuff has timing problems,...I dont like playing to clicks but it is something that i need to do. After 2 posts on here my eyes are opened to that fact. Speaking of that,..listen,.......

I agree with mbuster. "This aint an ass kissin' forum." I appreciate the honesty from people and very much want it that way. If i want to hear how great i am i'll play my mix for my mom,..she loves everything i do,..ha ha ha ha ha. But here,..i want and expect honest critical opinions.

This is getting to long! Thanks everyone for EVERY reply. Good or bad,..it ALL helps! Thanks again

Calwood

Listening to Shades Passing..

Hmmm.. im usually fx junkie but I really don't feel like I can tell how good her voice is or not. It seems to be behind a wall of fx. It kind of reminds me of "Nina Goddess of Dance" that was here a month or so ago. Ahh.. i see one of the previous mentioned pitch issues. 2:50 mark. Still nothing not correctible.

Anyway i think her voice sounds appropriate but you should lose all the fx and bring her up close and warm. It may take a few more takes but I'll bet you like the results.

Prologue - like those big log drum sounding thingys. Makes me want to dance around on beach going "yabba yabba yaaaaaba yagga yaaaaga". Good ethereal voice, yup i can detect pitch here too. Well overall good work, good luck with her.

Back