I flip the script on bands seeking members

The Defibrillators do nothing but covers.

There are two approaches we take. The first is to try and replicate as close as we can the sound of the original. The second is to do the complete opposite, and create a totally new flavour for it.

Since I was never the primary song writer in any of my bands, I was technically playing covers the entire time.

Since I was never the primary song writer in any of my bands, I was technically playing covers the entire time.
I've never looked at it like that. If you're part of the band that came up with the song in the first place, though you never wrote it, or one of the session musicians that played on the original recording {and may, like the sessionists of old, have provided lines or harmonies that weren't part of the written song and only came up during tracking ~ totally uncredited of course}, I wouldn't say you're doing a cover.
Maybe I'm being pedantic but these two definitions of cover versions have always tended to be the ones I've gone along with and pretty much everyone I've known that has a thought on covers;
in popular music, a cover version or cover song, or simply cover, is a new performance or recording of a previously recorded, commercially released (or unreleased) song, by someone other than the original artist or composer
and
A recording of a song that was previously recorded or made popular by another
Lt Bob's view {if you're talking of the original artist} that
Further ALL live music is covers ..... unless you're making it up on the spot it's a cover
was certainly a unique one to me; I've never come across anyone that had that view until you said a similar thing in your quote, . I've heard the Lt say it before and I guess because it was so new, at least to my ears, when I first heard it, I found it intriguing.

Last edited:
Back