I finally did a new website for me....

Looks good, I like the simple look. If I had to complain I'd say make the fonts on the pics in the header the same and maybe get rid of some of the empty space at the very top.

Good point on the fonts. The pix were done one at a time quite some time ago and done totally individually which is why they are slightly different. I did just recently change the audio so that it can be played on the site rather than having to go somewhere else to hear. I think that really helps the situation. I've slightly modified titles also in the past couple of days. This is all my first attempt at a web site, so it is a bit of a challenge.

The page took a long time to load. Most wordpress sites do. You lose 50% of your visitors if the main elements haven't loaded in 10 seconds (yours didn't).
The site validates which is good, but still the accessibility for people with screenreaders isn't great. I wouldn't worry too much about accessibility in your case.
I didn't immediately grasp that your "bag" was media conversion. Italics are not a good way to get things across (neither are capitals). Bold colours and large text will help with getting "the message" across. The nature of your images made me think that your website was some kind of recording thing.
As an example, your name is 3 or so times larger than what you do. Is that important? Is the fact your Richard King 3 times more important than what it is you do (to your customer)? "RK (in black) Media Conversion" might have been a better title than Richard King Media.
Your other stream of work, the live sound services starts with "I’m a former studio/live sound engineer ".
Right...well I want someone that is up to date and current *close window*.

Fella, I dont mean to pick apart your website to be bitchy... you just wanted my comments and this is my job (website stuff/user experience etc) so I thought I'd give free advice as I was feeling kind :)

You appear to have a good "product" but I dont feel you're consistently selling it well. If you want some more info feel free to give me a shout.

Looks to me like you had a 'time out' for a while. New pix and recent projects, seem to me, should be the point of your promotion. Yes you have past experience, what you do now is better sold. Even if you are wishing selling to 'old school' enthusiasts. What you do now is most important IMO.

Back