I feel like a Newbie... but... what cable do I need?

Alexrkstr

So I bought a POD HD Desktop that I am using to record guitars.

It is currently hooked up to my Digi 003, but I would like to monitor it with a separate pair of studio monitors.

What cable do I need? (can someone please forward a link?)
Essentially I need one stereo 1/4 inch plug to TWO stereo 1/4 inch.... So that's means:
INPUT: 2 1/4 inch
Output: 4 1/4 inch

Is there such a cable?
Do I have to get a splitter box? Not sure I know what I'm looking for...
Or do I have to buy a mixer and go through that hassle? (definitely don't want to do this)

I'm not sure I understand your needs correctly, but it sounds like a monitor controller might help you.

Please elaborate on what it is you are trying to accomplish. :)

I'm not sure I understand your needs correctly, but it sounds like a monitor controller might help you.

Please elaborate on what it is you are trying to accomplish. :)

I'm trying to be able to monitor my POD HD (stereo1/4 inch output) on two different set of monitors simultaneously:
1) being connected to my interface digi 003
2) separate set monitors

That way I can have the main monitors off while I jam/compose on the other.

Well, you need TRS cables to your monitors. If you're trying to go into separate sets of monitors it would depend on your interface. And then you would have to send that track to those outputs on your interface.

The way most people do this, if you're sitting at the computer, when you're jamming and you want the main monitors off it's better to just get a good set of headphones.

I actually have a killer set of computer surround sound speakers, AND monitors. And I do all of my EQing and mixing through the monitors, but when I want to hear the mix with a good subwoofer and with some color to just get into it and see what it's going to sound like on regular speakers I turn up my surround sound system.

What monitors do you have? I looked up the digi 003 rack mountable unit. You got plenty of outputs. You could set up two pairs of monitors easily you just need to hook them up in some outputs you won't be using. Trs cables, just like your other monitors.

Thanks nagol, but I actually want to be able to play the POD HD Desktop while the computer is off (and so is the Digi 003, I have the control surface unit).

As far as monitors, I have the Adam A7s as my main monitors but I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Yamaha MSP5 to be the direct line speakers/monitors/reference speakers while the Digi 003 is off.

Well, you need TRS cables to your monitors. If you're trying to go into separate sets of monitors it would depend on your interface. And then you would have to send that track to those outputs on your interface.

The way most people do this, if you're sitting at the computer, when you're jamming and you want the main monitors off it's better to just get a good set of headphones.

I actually have a killer set of computer surround sound speakers, AND monitors. And I do all of my EQing and mixing through the monitors, but when I want to hear the mix with a good subwoofer and with some color to just get into it and see what it's going to sound like on regular speakers I turn up my surround sound system.

What monitors do you have? I looked up the digi 003 rack mountable unit. You got plenty of outputs. You could set up two pairs of monitors easily you just need to hook them up in some outputs you won't be using. Trs cables, just like your other monitors.

Then I would definitely recommend something like a Mackie Big Knob (which I use). With this, you can select 4 different input sources, and select between 3 pairs of monitors with ease. Also 3 other separate/adjustable level outputs for headphones and such.

On the cheap, yes you could use something like THIS. But you may need to do some searching to find cables long enough, or just extend them.

I have Big knob too and I like it, but if your budget is not so big then Samson C-control will handle the job also ;)

Then I would definitely recommend something like a Mackie Big Knob (which I use). With this, you can select 4 different input sources, and select between 3 pairs of monitors with ease. Also 3 other separate/adjustable level outputs for headphones and such.

On the cheap, yes you could use something like THIS. But you may need to do some searching to find cables long enough, or just extend them.

Thanks guys, you get the idea now. I don't want to spend more than $100, the Mackie looks nice but expensive. The Samson looks good too but the reviews criticize that it sucks the tone away from the signal.

Back