I feel dirty ...

Yeah I am guilty as well, those tasty little boxes are so much fun, I should be saving for better mics but alas it is hard to resist those temptations of cheap fun.

I usually hate sounding like a bitter and jaded asshole, but here goes nothing. The weird thing is I have an original Shin-Ei fuzz, and this clone is as bad as an original. I guess if you crave that 60's 'Psychotic Reaction' tone (and don't we all), this is fine. I can't see myself shelling out $$$ to sound like a broken transistor radio. Back in the day, it was different and cool, but today I think there's so many distortion boxes that I don't have to sound like a blown speaker any more. Tone Benders, Fuzz Faces, they all have that spitty tone. If you can find a Lovetone Big Cheese, they're a lot better, and a mid-70's IC Big Muff will make you forget about a Shin-Ei in a hurry.

I usually hate sounding like a bitter and jaded asshole, but here goes nothing. The weird thing is I have an original Shin-Ei fuzz, and this clone is as bad as an original. I guess if you crave that 60's 'Psychotic Reaction' tone (and don't we all), this is fine. I can't see myself shelling out $$$ to sound like a broken transistor radio. Back in the day, it was different and cool, but today I think there's so many distortion boxes that I don't have to sound like a blown speaker any more. Tone Benders, Fuzz Faces, they all have that spitty tone. If you can find a Lovetone Big Cheese, they're a lot better, and a mid-70's IC Big Muff will make you forget about a Shin-Ei in a hurry.

YES, YES, AND YES nothing like em!

:cool:

Sadly, the Big Cheese is no longer being made. But you can find the early IC Muffs, and they have a bottom end that doesn't sound like a constipated kazoo. I don't like EH as a general rule (they don't play well with other brands on any pedal board I have), but there are a painfully few exceptions.

I've got the UniVox. If I weren't sentimentally attached to it, I'd probably sell it considering the relatively silly amounts I've been offered for it. I've also got another fuzz-wah from back in the day (very early 70's) that I got at a dime store (think First Act stuff from Wal-mart). I saw the exact same thing on ebay a couple of days ago for $399. Who knew?

Back