I feel defeated.

Schloo

I've recorded before back in the day and am now realizing I like tape way better than digi (probably because I'm a drummer). Anyways, I'm really on a budget and would like to multitrack (8) my drums onto tape asap (I can dump onto my computer later, right?).

Right now I have some mics, a Alesis multimix 16, and an active drummer's imagination.

Should I:
a)Buy the tape recorder? If so which one (remember I'm on a home recording budget)?

b) Give up, sell everything and get a firepod or other non-analog gizmo.

c) Give up completely, sell everything and buy my unborn children some clothes, etc.

Sorry if this should be in the newbies section. It just seems like nobody goes there.

Thanks! Bye!

There are tons of options. For 8 tracks look into a Fostex E8, Tascam/Teac 388 or TSR-8, or an Otari MX5050. You also will need to mix down to something. Either your computer, a CD recorder, a tape deck, or another reel. You could also mix your drums live on the multimix to a mixdown reel, Like a Tascam 22-2 or 32 or a Fostex E-2 (or a cassette deck). You will have to do a search to learn how to clean these machines and take care of them but its easy. You can go to www.urecordingmedia.com (not sure what is in europe) to find out what tape and upkeep is going to cost (you also need leader tape and maybe splicing tape and spare reels).

Now, why do you feel defeated?

FALKEN said:
Now, why do you feel defeated?
because non-analog recording of drums sucks. that's why. :) Like you don't know it ;) :D :p

btw. option (c) is not the end of the world ;) ... I'm thinking about it from time to time too.

Fostex r8, tascam 38, TEAC 80-8 plus models that FALKEN mentioned are just fine. But because all this means that you are going to be shopping in the junk-yard - get ready for not so much fun "fun".
Also mixing drums on the board and recording 4 or two tracks is pretty good option. The problem is that you'll have to work out your way through your set-up (drums, room set-up, mics set-up, mixer set-up) to the point when you will be happy with your drum track(s), because if you do it all yourself in the same room, you can not really hear your drum tracks mix as you play, even with "super"-isolating h-phones.... So you play around with your set-up by trying recording, listening the recorded mix later and then make what have you adjustments, then record again, listen to the mix.... etc
Of course, the "right" way to do it - record to 8-track and mix later, so you have control over your drums while mixing with the rest of the band. But after you 'collect' some good personal experience.... you can get away with just 2-track drums.
Now, never forget, that three mics can capture the magic (in the magic room what mother nature does the mixing job).... so that's another way of going it.... kick/snare/over-head - done deal :).... or four mics: kick/snare/stereo over heads - four tracks - done deal .... so you can get yourself something like TEAC a-3340/3340s/3440 and other similar machines - and make great drums recording.... well, then you can record your tracks from tape to your DAW or what have you and add/mix with the rest of the band.... which is not as beautiful as recording it all to 16/24 tr analog tape.... but that's the way to get around the misery of real life and get something done well....
ok,
good luck
go for it
/respects

Last edited:
Dr ZEE said:
because non-analog recording of drums sucks. that's why. :) Like you don't know it ;) :D :p

YES. THAT, and I love the hands on approach to it. Everytime I've recorded drums to tape, it has been by well known studios that have great reputation for solid drum sound. I love the idea of having my own Alesis black panel (?) and am toying around with that idea right now (they seem to go for 100-200 on ebay).

I have a specific question (I know, you have been so generous so far, and I appreciate your help GREATLY), how does one go from ADAT tape to computer? Like, what specific connections take an old machine (1990s, ha, more like I AM OLD), to a newer mac? Seems like it should be so simple.

I guess I am so frustrated right now due to hindsight kicking my ass. I don't know why I put money into recording my bands when I could have invested on recording gear and had a REAL hobby! Viva la tape! Thanks guys!

ADAT is one of those non-analog things, even though "viva la tape" is applicable.
If your computer's audio-card is equipped with ADAT optical interface - You can transfer digital audio from ADAT to puter losslessly at speed of light, ...
(hmmmmmmm, do I need to mention, that there may be not much to lose in the glass pipe to begin with ? ;) :rolleyes: )

/respects

yeah dude;

while ADAT will give you the "hands on" experience; it isn't analog; its digital. And I wouldn't get a blackface; they are known to have software problems. if you are hell bent on ADAT get an LX20.

Thanks again! It looks like I won't be getting anything yet.
The Alesis board I have doesn't multitrack out. Totally frustrating!

happy birthday. I love stella. Anyway, it looks like you have purchased the only mixer on earth that doesn't do multitrack recording. Looks like you'll have to either send it back or mix the drums on the fly. you could look into a tascam 32.

FALKEN said:
it looks like you have purchased the only mixer on earth that doesn't do multitrack recording. .
it does, but only by squeezing them (the tracks that is :) ) into USB cable and sending them into your all purpose device known as Personal Computer :p ... "magically" , and then of course there shall be no worry about transfering your tracks to computer. Life is great :rolleyes: :D
/respects

p.s. I did not read all the tech stuff there... so I'm not sure if you can record 'multi-tracks' to you computer via USB??? or just what is in the main OUT (in the mix) ???? so in that case... it sucks :p

hmmm... after reading a bit about it, it DOES look like this "multi-mix" thing does not do multi-track recording ... :confused: Looks like you can record via usb to computer one track (or two track/stereo) at the time. And then what? do some real mixing work in your software? I'm trying to think about what the whole point of having a "mixer" like that? Ony thoughts?
ahhh, what ever. :)

Last edited:
Hmm. 18 is good, only two out doesn't help you though does it. Do you need to keep that mixer for other tracking besides the drums, or is it inexpendable? Sounds like you may want to sell it and get something with 8 in and 8 out, which surprisingly can be had pretty inexpensively. Analog gear has become more affordable thanks to the digital hype. I won't recommend a mixer because there are more experience, better 'up on what's available' people here who should be able to steer you right. A nice analog 8 in/out board (with 8 pres) and a nice 1/2" 8 track machine and you would be in sweet analog heaven. Welcome in from the dark side, btw.
Oh yeah, and be cautious about buying your gear from church pastors or little old ladies ;) Inside joke here.

Back