I fear the reaper (what are the first steps?)

A.D.Ryan

Hey guys. I`m trying to record my first track using reaper. what are the first steps? I pressed the record button and it said I have to open a track. I opened the track but then,when I wanted to record, it said that I had to arm my track. I just can`t do it. Anybody out there who can make a dummie understand how this works? Just the first steps to record my first track.
Cheers

1 Insert new track

2 Click on the 'arm' button (usually shown as 'ar' beneath the track number).

3 Click on the record button

Oh, thank you! This is the second time you help me out. The bad thing about noobs is that they can`t give anything in return for the help. Thank you. I`ll try right away and see if it works.

I did that and tried to record. The thing is when i speak in the mike, nothing happens. Now... my M-Audio Ulrta track R8 has 2 inst holes( laugh as much as you want:) dunno what to call them) at the front. It also has 2 insert holes at the back ( left side) and 8 micline inputs.I imagine the mike goes into one of those mic line inputs, right? To be honest, i tried all of them with the same result. no sound.
the noob

the mike i was talking about was sure M58 SE
I could use the condenser Rode NT2A if you think it makes a difference.
Cheers

I did that and tried to record. The thing is when i speak in the mike, nothing happens. Now... my M-Audio Ulrta track R8 has 2 inst holes( laugh as much as you want:) dunno what to call them) at the front. It also has 2 insert holes at the back ( left side) and 8 micline inputs.I imagine the mike goes into one of those mic line inputs, right? To be honest, i tried all of them with the same result. no sound.
the noob

Plug the Shure mike into one of the mike inputs at the back.

Plug a set of headphones into one of the M-audio's headphone sockets.

Do a test. Can you hear anything?

Is the M-audio connected to the PC via USB?

Do you have the M-audio selected as a recording device in Reaper?

Thank you! I can hear it now. really bad quality and I can barely hear my voice, even though on the interface i turned the volume all the way up. I think the interface is installed properly, I disabled the sound card (in the computer) and selected the interface. Now, everything goes through the interface.
Would you happen to know where i have to plug the guitar and the condenser mike?
Also, I`ve noticed that when I posted my questions in the newbie section I got a lot of replies. Can I post a question about reaper in the newbie forum if I am a noob, or do I have to select the Don`t fear the reaper forum? Thank you so much for your help!

On the M-audio you will find headphone controls that give you a choice between input and output sound. Make sure that this is set, initially, to about halfway. It's possible that it is set all the way to output (or playback), which is why you can't hear what's going in.

The condensor gets plugged into the back, same place as the Shure. You will need to switch phantom power on.

One or more of the inputs will be designated as 'instrument'. Plug the guitar into one of these.

You can post in Reaper forum or newbie section; wherever you get the most help. Just don't post the same thing in multiple places.

Cheers

Thank you! I spent 5 hours today to figure out the reaper and how to use it. I think I need a break or I`ll go insane haha. Thank you very much for helping me.

The Reaper manual is downloadable here. It's actually a link on the front page, but it is a little hard to find.

Make yourself some coffee though, 'cause it's 300 pages. :D

Basics of Reaper...you should go to options in menu and click on preferences then Audio (Device)...set up how your recording.

once you do that

Click on track in menu...add new track

On new track click "ar" to arm for recording...click on the speaker icon just below to monitor/hear what you playing...click on the black bar with #'s and -inf to see recording options/input...choose what works for you...click on FX button and add the effects you want while playing.

thats your basic startup for reaper.

Basics of Reaper...you should go to options in menu and click on preferences then Audio (Device)...set up how your recording.

once you do that

Click on track in menu...add new track

On new track click "ar" to arm for recording...click on the speaker icon just below to monitor/hear what you playing...click on the black bar with #'s and -inf to see recording options/input...choose what works for you...click on FX button and add the effects you want while playing.

thats your basic startup for reaper.

Thank you Vincent. I eventually managed to record my first track, and attempted to record my second:) It felt good!

Your welcome

Here is one thing that may come in handy as well

splitting/editing.

You basically click on track and highlight it...make sure you highlight or you will split all tracks...use the red line or bar...you can click near top in black or drag using the little hand when it appears.

Here is a short video I just recorded to show how its done

to split you press the letter "S" on keyboard

To view video click on download at the bottom (in green) under clip0003.avi (63.57 mb)

http://www.plunder.com/Reaper-split-edit-download-5df4422f24.htm

Vincent! Impressive! If you made a DVD step by step on home recording with reaper, i`d buy it! At the moment, I`m struggling with some simple stuff:(
I finished recording on my second track, and wanted to save my project. I saved it, but deleted the old one... I didn`t want to delete the old one! I wonder why that happened...
By the way, do you have other videos as well?
Cheers!

Saving projects

I probably do it differently than most but here is how I do it

Go to my documents...right click and create a folder for your music projects and name it whatever you want.

once I create that folder i open that folder and create a folder for each song I make.

Example...my documents...create reaper musc projects folder...open folder and create another folder for song.

Now open reaper...before doing anything I create new project then save project...click save project...go to documents/repear music projects/song folder you created for this song.

Now everything you record in reaper will go to that folder...this is the best way for me to do it.

Render...when you render a file I click browse button and make sure it goes in the same folder...once I find folder you can name that file whatever you want.

When you want to start a new song/project go to my documents/click reaper recording projects...open folder...create a new folder for song and name it...then do the same steps as before however now save things in new project.

When rendering I usually click browse to make sure its saved in right folder...I work on like 10 songs at once and you dont want to render and save into the wrong project folder.

Here is a short video...click on small square bottom right of video to enlarge...quality of video is bad...wont use photobucket for videos anymore...bad quality.

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v683/spidercents/?action=view&current=clip0005.flv

Saving projects

I probably do it differently than most but here is how I do it

Go to my documents...right click and create a folder for your music projects and name it whatever you want.

once I create that folder i open that folder and create a folder for each song I make.

Example...my documents...create reaper musc projects folder...open folder and create another folder for song.

Now open reaper...before doing anything I create new project then save project...click save project...go to documents/repear music projects/song folder you created for this song.

Now everything you record in reaper will go to that folder...this is the best way for me to do it.

Render...when you render a file I click browse button and make sure it goes in the same folder...once I find folder you can name that file whatever you want.

When you want to start a new song/project go to my documents/click reaper recording projects...open folder...create a new folder for song and name it...then do the same steps as before however now save things in new project.

When rendering I usually click browse to make sure its saved in right folder...I work on like 10 songs at once and you dont want to render and save into the wrong project folder.

Here is a short video...click on small square bottom right of video to enlarge...quality of video is bad...wont use photobucket for videos anymore...bad quality.

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v683/spidercents/?action=view&current=clip0005.flv

Cheers, Vincent! I did it hehe. I quite like your way of saving files.

Cheers, Vincent! I did it hehe. I quite like your way of saving files.

REAPER actually already has that built right into the program!

* Click Save As..
* Check "Create subdirectory for project"
* Check "Move all media into project directory"

It'll make the folder and move the files automatically for you. :)

You can also set the default render path in Preferences/General.

D.Bop, I noticed it did have that, but for some reason at the beginning I lost my first two tracks.I must have done something dumb, as always... Now it`s ok, thank you!

Back