I don't like the sound of my Fender American Telecaster!!!!!!!

Colwarter said:
Hey guys, first of all I would like to thank everyone who answered to this post! That's very cool...
So! I bought a telecaster because i very like the look, i think it's the most beautiful guitar ever made, that's why i bought one without even hear it. I am ready to make some changes on this guitar like changing the pickups and everything otherwise than changing my amp, cause my amp sounds fantastic with my gibson and I would change it for nothing! So i'll go on the seymore ducan website to change the pickups and also see on the fender website (custom section).

A tele will always sound different than a Gibson. Different wood, different construction, different scale length. Try replacing the pick-ups if you want, but if you can return or exchange it, you'd be better off starting with a tele model that is routed for humbuckers.

If not, I'll buy it for $100.

Edit: I missed the eBay in the original post. I would guess the seller would not accept "sounds like a tele" as a reason for return. I'll still buy it for $100.

Last edited:
Richard Monroe said:
Make me an offer. I'm serious- I've got a Highway 1 tele that could use those
pickups. Send me a PM-Richie

Sorry for the hijack...but I've got a set of as new American tele pups you can have for $50 shipped in the CONUS.

Colwater,
Depending on your budget there are a TON of replacement pups available. I have a set of Joe Barden pups in my Tele(very expensive, no longer made, but oh so good...), and I've had numerous other pups in different Teles. For what you're describing, check out the Seymour Duncan Little 59, and their other offerings here http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/teles.shtml

Good luck in the quest! :D

Is it still too trebley when you turn the treble all the way down on your amp...if not you have to tweek the amp tone to your liking.

teles are pretty bright...the treble bite is what most tele players want.

Teles are the best for chicken pickin' country licks....no other guitar comes close

ermghoti said:
If not, I'll buy it for $100.

Edit: I missed the eBay in the original post. I would guess the seller would not accept "sounds like a tele" as a reason for return. I'll still buy it for $100.
lol, man, I would have 600$ for this on ebay, and you know it. I suppose you thought I didn't know it. I love it. I just want to modify it.

I have never played a tele but they're popular as hell. It seems shameful to own one just to modify the hell out of it.

I love the sound of a tele. Than again, I wouldn't want it as my only guitar.

A maple neck will give the sould a little more brightness (and sustain) but the tele pickups themselves are known for being tinny.

Change the bridge pickup to humbucker with a high output. Then roll back on the tone knob a bit, maybe down to 7 or 8. This will take away some of the high end harshness that you'll get when pairing a tele with a marshall.

I had an American Tele

I could not adjust to the sound either. IMO, a stock Tele is good for light rock and country and not much more.

if you didnt want a bright sounding guitar why would you get a tele?
*bangs head on table* why why why why why why

maybe try to resell it and use the money to buy a guitar more to your taste that you've played before purchasing. thats the great thing about buying used, it wont go down much more in value than it already has.

Back