I Don't Know?

MaVN

My band, Good Timing >
We tracked this tune in my home studio. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Austin!

Attachments

• I Don't Know.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
WOW! That is so over-the-top over-compressed, it's impossible to listen to. How did you mix and master this. It's averaging -6db!!!!!!!! (OUCH!!!).... and it's clipping and distorting all over the place. The drums are almost non-existent, which is what happens when you over limit and/or compress.

Not trying to be a dick. It might be a great tune. But with the processing on the final mix, it was ear-splitting.

Last edited:
The drums are a little sloppy and the bass doesn't sit with them and they're both too low.

The guitars sound fizzy and a litte our of tune.

I'd go back tot the mix and get the drums and bass sitting together, then slowly add piano, guitars, vocals. I'd also mix the whole thing lower. Once you've got the levels better, I'd eq out the fizziness of the guitars and the harshness, and pan some more to get separation.

WOW! That is so over-the-top over-compressed, it's impossible to listen to. How did you mix and master this. It's averaging -6db!!!!!!!! (OUCH!!!).... and it's clipping and distorting all over the place. The drums are almost non-existent, which is what happens when you over limit and/or compress.

Not trying to be a dick. It might be a great tune. But with the processing on the final mix, it was ear-splitting.

Yeah i didnt realize there was a compressor on the master fader. Im new to the whole mixing thing. Normally i set the rig up and somebody else mixes lol

How did you EQ it? The cymbols have no life, maybe try adding an EQ that raises the bass and highs, the entire song seems way too mid centric, it just sounds really congested, but im not sure how to help you there other than EQ.

You've got a lot of low-end rumbling going on. Try & get into the habit of high passing everything - vocal, guitar, even bass, except the kick, and then gently add in low end from the bass.

What happens with too much bottom is it eats up all your head room and if you've got a compressor on the master fader it will cause the compressor to kick in more often than it should, and the effect is a of lowering volume across the board

Back