I Didn't Realize This Was What They Meant...

bongolation

...by "Stupid Deal of the Day."

Hey, them scary drums I got from Musician's Friend on their "Stupid Deal of the Day" a couple of weeks ago? The ones that arrived without the second box with the rest of the drums and the hardware?

Well, for the past week, MF has been telling me that the rest of the parts were going to be sent "today," but never were. Totally exasperated, I called again today and finally got to the bottom of the problem. Check it out:

Mapex sent Musician's Friend the entire load of drumsets with only one of the two boxes. Everyone (hundreds of people?) who ordered this set got "Carton 1/2" but no "Carton 2/2"! Where in the round world all those "Carton 2/2" boxes are, nobody knows. Mapex doesn't know, Musician's Friend doesn't know.

Freakin' amazing, huh?

So...they're sending me a no-cost FedEx label and will have this set picked up, plus I get a full refund and an $80 credit for my trouble.

So...I didn't get the drumset, but it looks like I made $80 on the deal.

Weird. :rolleyes:

Schloo said:
OMG...I'd be so annoyed. That's a funny story though!
It's a lot funnier to you than to Musician's Friend, I'm sure. ;)

Think about it: They ate shipping both ways on fifty-five (55) pounds of unsaleable merchandise and may or may not have cut the same $80 deal on compensation with all the buyers, never mind what they'll go through to get straight with Mapex.

Yeah, I bet they're just laughing themselves silly. :rolleyes:

Well that certainly sucks, but props to MF for trying to rectify the matter. I haven't heard too many horror stories about them, and they've always treated me right.

Greg_L said:
Well that certainly sucks, but props to MF for trying to rectify the matter.
Well, however belatedly. Remember, these are the people who repeatedly told me that it was shipping every day for the past week and that they "absolutely, positively" had the parts. If I hadn't thrown a fit, I'd still be waiting in 2007.

Throwing a fit and demanding to talk to a manager shouldn't have to be the way to do business with a retailer.

This was just a cascading, moronic screw-up though, no malice, like totally losing one of my returns a couple of weeks ago which -- fortunately for me -- they had signed for. I had to scream at people about that, too, or I'd still be waiting for resolution in 2007.

Places like Zzounds, on the other hand, are just total, lying dirtbags as a matter of policy.

I haven't heard too many horror stories about them, and they've always treated me right.
I've had nothing but trouble with them on three orders in the past two weeks. I would like to attribute that to all these kids being new hires for the holidays or something. They're all well-meaning and trying to help, but they just don't have a freakin' clue about what they're doing. I know MF's policies and procedures better than these kids on the phone. Anything but a straight order and it just doesn't work out.

As I tell people, the way to tell about service is when something about an order is just a little out of the ordinary. Can they handle it, or do they fall apart? MF generally falls apart. So does everyone else, though. :confused:

mapex didn't send the cartons with the mounting hardware b/c they realized just how hideously ugly those drums were and were embarassed to have people actually put the kits together. :D

sorry you had to go through hassle.......glad that MF is treating you right, though!

cheers,
wade

Sorry to hear you had that much trouble. I've never had any trouble from them personally, & I've ordered loads of stuff over the years from them, but then you're not the first I've ever heard of to have a problem with them. I remember seeing somewhere that MF stands for Mother F**kers, but I don't remember where I saw it... ;). I guess all these mail order sites are problematic from time to time. Zzzounds definitely sucks tho'. I've tried twice to order from them, but they've gobbered it up twice, so I figure why bother trying for a third? Hope you have better luck next time. BTW, one of the nicest drum kits I've ever seen, or heard for that matter, was a kit made by a company called Sunlite. But I'm a guitar player, what the hell do I know about drums... ?:D

To bring this sorry story up to date, MF never sent me the drums, but called me yesterday to tell me that they found the second carton and I could have it if I hadn't already sent the rest back. I hadn't, so they said they'd send them out this morning.

As of tonight, there's some screw-up between departments and they haven't sent them. "Maybe Monday."

Here we go again! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I still have the $80 credit for my trouble. I guess they want to make sure they get their money's worth on that.

GROOVEJIVEY said:
Zzzounds definitely sucks tho'.
They're just liars.

They never shut up about their lowest price guarantee, so I tried to get them to match a Guitar Center price from the monthly flyer. They stalled and said they would if I sent them a scan of the ad, which I did -- then wouldn't answer my e-mail nor take my phone calls or honor the price.

They just flat stonewalled the whole thing. I'll NEVER buy anything from them.

has anyone noticed that if you splet out "mother fucker" in place of MF in any of these post it would sound quite appropriate due to the thread issue?

just an observation:) continue

GROOVEJIVEY said:
Sorry to hear you had that much trouble. I've never had any trouble from them personally, & I've ordered loads of stuff over the years from them, but then you're not the first I've ever heard of to have a problem with them. I remember seeing somewhere that MF stands for Mother F**kers, but I don't remember where I saw it... ;). I guess all these mail order sites are problematic from time to time. Zzzounds definitely sucks tho'. I've tried twice to order from them, but they've gobbered it up twice, so I figure why bother trying for a third? Hope you have better luck next time. BTW, one of the nicest drum kits I've ever seen, or heard for that matter, was a kit made by a company called Sunlite. But I'm a guitar player, what the hell do I know about drums... ?:D

opps......! already been pointed out.........sorry! :o

Greg_L said:
Well that certainly sucks, but props to MF for trying to rectify the matter. I haven't heard too many horror stories about them, and they've always treated me right.

I finally ordered something from MF after pulling them off my approved vendor list a year ago for gross incompetence (more than a 1 month delay on a simple cable order with no willingness to substitute). They didn't disappoint. Instead of sending my order to me, they sent it to someone else where I work (with my name on the billing info).

My employer has something like 6,000 employees on site at this location. I have no idea who this guy was; I had never met him. He was about to send it back until he saw the name and looked me up in the company directory. I got my cables, but they're off my approved vendor list again. It's a shame; I can't find anybody else who sells Tama mic stands....

bongolation said:
They're just liars.

They never shut up about their lowest price guarantee, so I tried to get them to match a Guitar Center price from the monthly flyer. They stalled and said they would if I sent them a scan of the ad, which I did -- then wouldn't answer my e-mail nor take my phone calls or honor the price.

They just flat stonewalled the whole thing. I'll NEVER buy anything from them.

i never got anything from zzounds but run-a-round. i was done with them before i ever really got started with them.

mrface2112 said:
mapex didn't send the cartons with the mounting hardware b/c they realized just how hideously ugly those drums were and were embarassed to have people actually put the kits together. :D

No the reason they didn't send the hardware is because the tree stand you mount it in comes with the hardware.

Well, remarkably, the whole thing arrived yesterday and I was surprised at how much the hardware, particularly, was an improvement over the "pro" stuff from a few decades ago, though this is only a "semi-pro" grade of set. The economizing was done intelligently and the overall utility kept. There really is such thing as progress, I guess.

Shocking hideousness aside, this was a really good value. Considering they air-freighted this second box to me and gave me that $80 hassle credit, they must have really taken a bath on this one.

I just never thought I'd ever see all the stuff. :rolleyes:

Back