i could use some advice

atw23

im just starting to learn to sing.. im able to sing in key with a song while hearing it on the radio or whatever , but i suppose anyone can do that.

im trying to sing original melodies while playing guitar and so far i can sing the root notes but im not able to sing notes that im not playing and hearing at the same time.

i hope that made some sense, maybye i just need more practice,
any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hey ATW23,

I will never forget when I first learned to sing and play.... It was weird! I (Swear) something literally "Clicked" in my head and I could do it... Like I said, it was weird. (Not that I can play OR sing very well at all. LOL)

I'm not sure if you've tried or not, but MAYBE you can do a simple chord progression that you can play without even thinking about it, then start singing or humming the melody of something completly different like "Jingle Bells" and then merge the two together so you're singing the melody in key with the chords.

:)

BTW- Welcome to the bbs.

Ear Training

There is no substitute for experience....

Practice, Practice, Practice....

Here are some things to try:

Play your open "G" string on the guitar, sing that note
Play your open "B" string on the guitar, sing that note'
Now play the G and sing the B... ok?

That's harmony.

Play a scale (C D E F G A B C) now sing it..

PLay the C while singing the E...
PLay the D while singing the F...
PLay the E while singing the G...
PLay the F while singing the A...
PLay the G while singing the B...
PLay the A while singing the C...

You get the idea? it will sound cool and you will be training your ear.

Dom

:D

Practice real easy songs in the range your voice feels most comfortable.

In my case they were songs like Creep by Radiohead, and Nutshell by AIC.

It doesnt take long.

hes right...it does click

with practice it does click and it feels really weird for a while and everyone messes up here and there...even the best artists will sing off key sometimes...its a never ending struggle...if you arent off key...you could be off tempo and then forget some words and people will boo you and throw tomatoes at ya. not that it has ever happened to me or anything lol...play along to the cd singing and playing guitar for a while until you want to try it on your own though.

hay while we're on singing I got a question for anyboy who has experience. After youve been singing for like an hour or something do you ever get a kind of raspy vibration that is present between all ranges? Its wierd sometimes i get that and my throat doesnt hurt and my speaking voice isnt hoarse at all, but I get that gravely blanket thing going on. Know waht I mean? Is this just natural after exercise of the voice or I am doing technique wrong you think? Im trying to use Roger Loves technique btw.

thanks for the help

i appreciate your advice it has really helped me. i just felt like i should reply to this previous post because it reminds me of something ive always wanted to ask..

does musical ability seem like a muscle that if used to much becomes weaker, and has to rest before it becomes stronger and more creative than before? it seems that when i take a break from composing i come back more creative and willing to try new things than i was previously.

it seems the harder i play and try to create original music the more difficult it is to do so. when i dont care about about what i do or create the better i can sing and play.

its almost like u can wear out the musical parts of your brain like an arm muscle from doing too much work.

as anyone experianced this? and is this fairly normal? ive always wondered bout this.

It's a matter of vocal coodination, rather than muscular strength as far as vocal production.

A terrific book that will answer many questions is "Caruso's Method of Vocal Production", by P. Mario Marafioti.
Will complement Love's book(s).
(for under $10 new!)

Essential reading...

Chris

If you're singing correctly, your voice will get stronger over the duration of a night, and by extension, by the end of a tour - if it is weakening, there is tension or strain.

Chris

Back