i cant write lyrics, need help

Anthrax

basicly, i have trouble writing lyrics. my friends seem to be really good at it, and they can write lyrics to songs that have a meaning.

when i write lyrics, they make no sense, and i always scrap my ideas cause they never lead to anything.

basicly, can anyone give me any tips ? what are some good topics to write about, stuff like that.

Don't worry about topics. Let yourself write and sing about whatever you want. Write lyrics regardless of whether they make sense or not. It the rhythm and the melody works, you can alway rewrite the lyrics to make sense.

Paul McCartney used "Scrambled Eggs" in place of "Yesterday" when he was writing the song.

One of the lyrics I've written was this:

Absolution from the anger
Absolution from desire
From the hole you've left in me
Absolution from.............(I don't remember the lyrics that I tried out)
Absolution from................
From the.........................

So, I wanted the chorus to tell a story:

Absolution from the anger
Absolution from desire
From the hole you've left in me
Dissolution is a mem'ry
I will not be victimized
A thread and needle victory

A thread and needle victory

So, you've got to let yourself write something that works and then rewrite to make it work WELL.

Good luck!

Check out some of my songs!!!

www.myspace.com/musicbymicah

When I was in high school, I found the best way to write music was to wake up too early in the morning, and then just sit down and write out stuff. A couple days later go back and make sure it's not terrible.
Otherwise, I tend to write lyrics as I'm doing other things. If I'm thinking about something and I decide that it would be good to write a song about it, I start rhyming with it. Since it's hard to memorize a whole song as you write it, I'll only write about one verse and I'll keep rehearsing it in my head until I have a chance to write it down. By then, I'll have had a chance to refine it until I like it.
As for topics: write about what's important to you, what you like to do, and what entertains you.
Hope this helps.

here are some suggestions:

"camaro" sings really well
singing about "trying" or "failing" are pretty safe
some state names are also kinda musical

most of my songs are about either being in a band or stories about stuff that my friends and i have done.

this may be terrible advice, but hell, it sure works for me; nobody can hear the lyrics in a club anyways so it really doesn't matter.

Write about what you know.........when you know more, then your songs will expand a bit........keep it simple, get to the point, make it rhyme and do it in 4 minutes or less.

jpw23 said:
Write about what you know.........when you know more, then your songs will expand a bit........keep it simple, get to the point, make it rhyme and do it in 4 minutes or less.

"If you can't be good, at least be brief." - good advice from Mom for any public appearance

I find if I'm feeling a little stumped ..I just write lists of random thoughts...or grab my mp3 player and say some random things into it. Eventually I manage to pull enough together for a song lol We all experience (well most of us I should say) experience blocks sometimes...it won't last forever.

Cut out words and phrases from the National Inquirer, chuck them in the air, pick them up one at a time and write down what you got. I'm pretty sure that's how Stairway to Heaven was written.

Anthrax said:
basicly, i have trouble writing lyrics. my friends seem to be really good at it, and they can write lyrics to songs that have a meaning.
when i write lyrics, they make no sense, and i always scrap my ideas cause they never lead to anything.
basicly, can anyone give me any tips ? what are some good topics to write about, stuff like that.

The Meaning (dm)
(Intro) 4 bars

(verseI)
basicly, i have trouble writing lyrics
my friends seem to be really good at it
and they can write lyrics to songs
to songs that have a meaning....a meaning....a meaning....a meaning.

(Instrumental Break)

(verseII)
when i write lyrics,
they make no sense
and i always scrap my ideas
they never lead to anything.... to anything... to anything...to anything.

can anyone give me any tips!!! 4x (screaming/delay effect)

I Dunno, I think this song has plenty of meaning. Its right to the point and it makes sense, so whats the problem.

My point is that its right in front of you. The worst thing a musican/writer can do is prejudge his/her materiel and/or have a negative frame of mind about it. Maybe your trying to "go outside the box" to much or your trying to write like your friends do. Writing is who you are first, then what you know.
Mi2Cents. ;)

this song is just six words long
this song is just six words long
this song is just six words long!

I couldnt think of any lyrics.........

hehehe ok.. well if Weird AL can come up with a song that he couldnt think of any lyrics for hehehe then anyone can! ;)

i have to say that about 2hrs after i had made this post, i wrote a song. i think i just had my first dose of writers block

here are the lyrics

I like the summer time
and playing at the park
i like the winter time
and wondering through the dark
i like making music
and busking the day away
i like to be here
just to say

why....oh why

i like it when it rains
and the pain it takes away
i like to see the birds
and watch them play
i like the way you are
and i hope you stay that way
i like to be here
just to say

why....oh why

i like it when its silent
and no ones around
i like it when its noisy
and planes crash in the ground
i like it that theres no more english
and the rejoicing that ensued
i like to be here
just to conclude

why....oh why

and heres the tune
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~robert1234/newsong1/

whyohwhy192(2).mp3 (right click and save as)

A valiant effort. keep doing what your doing. Glad to see that you broke thru the block. I'm assuming this is a demo, therefore I will not comment on the production. In any event, whats your eqiupment setup? And also, why is is everybody UP so late? :)

Last edited:
my thing for writing songs is that whenver i have a dream that's cool enough for me to remember, i write it down. then i turn it into a song by describing my dream in very vague terms so that it can be interpreted in many ways. its fun for me. but then again my songs never make any sense because the song never atcually tells the listener what it's really about...anyway, just something maybe you can try. :)

Anthrax said:

"get really drunk first"
hemmingway

zed32 said:
my thing for writing songs is that whenver i have a dream that's cool enough for me to remember, i write it down. then i turn it into a song by describing my dream in very vague terms so that it can be interpreted in many ways. its fun for me. but then again my songs never make any sense because the song never atcually tells the listener what it's really about...anyway, just something maybe you can try. :)

Thats what you get for listening to chino's lyrics enough. :D Its ok though, im a victim too

BabyGrand06 said:
The Meaning (dm)
(Intro) 4 bars

(verseI)
basicly, i have trouble writing lyrics
my friends seem to be really good at it
and they can write lyrics to songs
to songs that have a meaning....a meaning....a meaning....a meaning.

(Instrumental Break)

(verseII)
when i write lyrics,
they make no sense
and i always scrap my ideas
they never lead to anything.... to anything... to anything...to anything.

can anyone give me any tips!!! 4x (screaming/delay effect)

This is actually how I started writing songs. I just wrote songs about the songs themselves until I started to get the hang of lyrics. Then I went back and overhauled some of the older ones to make them better.

Of course, usually what you come up within the first few attempts to write a song is going to be better than anything else you try.

Back