I can't wait finished product! what do you think?

moptop

After long hours slaving over a hot mixing console....here is the final mix of my little tune.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks and have a great holiday weekend!

Very good early 60s sound (I thought of the Dave Clark 5 for some reason), all high-passed (the kick has lost its thump, but the bass is ok). Starts abruptly, almost like its missing a bit, or the initial fade-in is too slow. There's a little warble in the vocal (the word 'Sometimes') - not sure if its your voice or an autotune artifact.
Arrangement-wise, I think the whole lead section followed by verse/chorus all instrumental drags on a bit before you start the fade-out, it would be better to do anohter sung chorus after the lead.

Fun little tune. Crash cymbals and hihats to some degree sound thin. It could be the mp3 conversion. I see you have a 4 minute song and the file is 3mb. Tells me maybe you are selecting 128kbps for the conversion. That rate can make teh cymbals sound harsh and washy. I'm pretty sure you can upload up to a 10MB file, so try converting the song again using a higher bitrate.

I agree with MJB about the ending. You got room for a whole nuther verse. :)

Thanks for sharing.

+1 on the start of the song being pretty abrupt.

The vocals start off a little pitchy, but find their footing a few lines in.

The snare tone isn't great. It sounds almost identical to the hi-hat.

It's a good start tho. The bgvox sound nice. bass tone is good.

Thanks for your input. you've touched on all the issues I have with it as well. My vocal it the biggest. Yes, I not a pro and sometimes it shows at the most obvious time.

Hi,

It's a really good composition in an early '60's vein for sure. I don't think the mix is doing it justice at all though...

That snare sound is truly awful imo. Sorry, but it sounds almost like another cymbal (as VHS mentioned), it's so thin and harsh. It's really pretty extreme actually. Not sure what is going on there? In another, more electronic genre it might fit better, but it just sounds so, so out of place to me on this kind of a track which could potentially sound much more authentic and natural.

Anyway, I also felt the bass was kind of indistinct and rumbly.

Your vocal track could be processed to sound warmer too. It sounded a bit harsh.

Good performances though! I would recommend drastic changes to the drum sound to get them warmer and more natural sounding, maybe some different eq or other processing on the vocals, and then you might be in the ballpark.

What's your monitoring situation?

Agree with Heat...the snare is atrocious. The drums in general sound like they have a high pass filter at like 1k.

The bass is rumbly but okay. Look in the 90-105hz range for a frequency that's overwhelming the bass and cut it aggressively as needed.

The vocal doesn't bother me. You're expressive and close enough for rock and roll on pitch, so the rest is forgiven. It's a cool retro tune. Nice job.

The beginning is better, yes. The other issues still stand tho: that snare tone could use work.

Listening back, the vocals are more on-pitch than I thought. Maybe it's just something weird about the tone.

Needs some monster backing vocals, and what others said about the drum kit is correct. I think I'd pick up the tempo overall too.

I tried to EQ the snare as bit but it didn't sound any better. It just doesn't like me! Well I guess I chose the wrong snare sample!!! I'll try a different one and see what it sounds like. The suggestion on speeding up the temp is a good one as well. I'm also going to re-record the opening vocals to see if I can make it a lot, A LOT less winey sounding... you know...like I finally took the pencil out of my nose!!! Wish me luck on that one!

Back