I can't tell

Krystof01

Hi,
I received my Roland jv1080 today and strated playing around with it. I haven't had time to tweak the parameteres yet so just went through the presets; I have to say that on first hearing I was a little dissapointed with the piano patches (I also got a piano pcm card incuded which I also was am initially dissapointed with).

Problem is I haven't played a real piano now fro some time so I don't know if I'm jumping to conclusions.

That's where you come in, do you rate any of the 1080's piano sounds, are they up to professional standard as far as recordings go. I was told that the 1010 had roalnds most popular stero piano so i guess this one will as well, which is it, they all sound a little too electronic for me.

I know I'll have to play around and tweak it but like I said, first impressions on the straightforward authentic piano sounds aren't great, what do you guys think.

Thanks,
Krystof.

The reason the JV1010 and XP30 have better piano sounds is because they already come with the Session expansion board built in. In my opinion, the Session board has the best piano sounds for the JV/XP series synths out of all the SR-JV boards. The stock JV1080/2080 and XP50/60/80 piano waveforms are whimpy to say the least...

Damn. I thought with the 1080 being more expensive that it would have all the 1010 presets and more; with better quality.

What should I buy then for piano sounds, baring in mind I've just bought the 1080 I could only really buy some sort of expansion board.

Thanks,
Krystof.

Oh so what your saying is that I should buy the session expansion board; that's going to set me back £165; is it worth it?

My opinion is that the Session and Vintage Synth boards are the best SR-JV boards out there in terms of overall sound/patch quality.

Hi,
I have the vintage synth board installed, it came with it (I bought it second hand), would you recommend the session board or the piano board. The piano only has less than half the patches but is the same price.

Back