I can't hear myself through my headphones?

brooklyn23

I just set up my new firebox, and my at 4047 mic

i cant hear myself rapping though, when i put the headphones on.

How do i fix that?

Look up 'direct monitoring' or 'zero latency monitoring' (or just monitoring) in the manual.

I don't have a firepod, so I can't give you specifics.

Fairview is right. There should be a direct monitor or monitor input feature in the software interface for the card. You only hear the beat because it is set up to only monitor play back right now. You need to change that. If you can not figure it out you may want to try calling customer assistance or visitng thier web site.

F.S.

is this common practice to hear your self in the headphones? I always thought you would hear just the beat in the headphone and you would record the vocals. I have been reading here alot of threads about "I cant hear myself through the cans!!"

Just wanted to know if this is the normal way or was my way of thinking wrong?

rob

robbyrobmusik said:
is this common practice to hear your self in the headphones?
Yes, it is. That is what all the discussions about zero latency monitoring are all about.

oh i see.. yea i remember reading that on some headphone i was looking at.. I take it zero latency means hearing yourself in real time right? Like as soon as u speak u hear it?

That is it. If you are trying to monitor yourself through the DAW, it takes time to get your voice into the daw and back out again. That is called latency, and it will drive you nuts.

First of all, of ourse you want to hear yourself in the microphones. Otherwise you'll be all off pitch and stuff.

Secondly, brooklyn, check your digital firebox mixer[ if you don't know how, post back sayin so, i'll tell you how] and make sure the button under "Mix to Headphones" is pushed.

Oh, and make sure the gain on which ever preamp you're using is high enough.

Back