I Bought A Delta 1010...Now What?

Village Idiot

The Love Butler
I'll need a mic pre for this thing...(I don't own a mixer)

What's some good ones? (Reasonable price)

I'll need at least two of them to handle phantom power.

Thanks for any help on this!

VI

Well my idea of good is different than say, Blue Bear's idea of good, not sure what your's is but the M-Audio DMP3 has served me well.

I am in the same boat but no one is responding to my posts...
I see the DMP3 lists on ebay new for $159. Another option to explore if I can get anyone to respond with more info is the M-audio audio buddy. It gets great reviews for what it is which seems to be the DMP3 without the analog level meters for half the price.

Village Idiot said:
I'll need a mic pre for this thing...(I don't own a mixer)

What's some good ones? (Reasonable price)

What's your budget? How many inputs at once do you need? You might want a dual or an 8 input pre. I spent $400 on my Meek pre but I really like it and the compressor in it is nice. Just me, but I consider what I paid for a pre to be entry point. I really wanted an Avalon and still do but I'm definately happier with what I have than a $100 preamp.

Well, you've got 8 inputs to fill up in that 1010. You're gonna need a preamp for each one. A mixer will give you multiple pres, phantom power and various input and output routing possibilities for creating monitor mixes, submixes, hooking up to outboard effects, external amps etc. etc.

Have a look at the Yamaha MG16/4 as a starting point

Thanks, Bulls Hit

Let's complicate this a bit futher, shall we? :D

I have a Fostex DMT-8 Digital unit that I have been using primarily as a "preamp" into my Audiophile card.

It does not have phantom power on any of the 8 channels.

Could I just buy a unit with two XLR in/outs with phantom power and hook it up through the Fostex, then hook it into my new Delta 1010?

VI

Your 1010 has 8 analog ins, I'm using a Yamaha MG12/4 for 6 of my pres and a DMP3 for the other two. Basically the mixer is a cheap way of getting multiple pre amps cheap. In this case 6 channels for $200.

Village Idiot said:
Could I just buy a unit with two XLR in/outs with phantom power and hook it up through the Fostex, then hook it into my new Delta 1010?

Do you mean standalone phantom power?

If so, then the answer is "yes", there are standalone phantom power units out there. Rolls has a two-channel unit called the PB223 that is relatively cheap and should get the job done. I have two of those.

- Keith

Thanks for steering me in the right direction, guys...

VT81-What the hey? You're too formal with me :D
My Jamfest Co-"Chairman"!

So you own the 1010? How have your drum tracks sounded with it?
And why shouldn't I just get a mixing board with 8 in/out?
Is there a big price difference there between 6 ins and 8 ins?

kbaccki: How has the Rolls unit worked for you? Are you happy with the results?

VI

Back