i am so sick of all this daw stuff

samrisio

plug ins..midi...latency...buffer errors...hd space...memory...i am telling you that it is stifling if you just want to record when the inspiration strikes or for songwriting..i think i am going to go out and get the zoom MRS 1608 and just plug and play until i can figure this compter recording out..what do you guys think?

I love all that stuff or I wouldn't be here. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

samrisio said:
plug ins..midi...latency...buffer errors...hd space...memory...i am telling you that it is stifling if you just want to record when the inspiration strikes or for songwriting..i think i am going to go out and get the zoom MRS 1608 and just plug and play until i can figure this compter recording out..what do you guys think?

I use my MR8 for my inspiration 'notepad'... I do all my main tracking work on my VF16... I just use the computer for mixing down...

It works out great for me :) My biggest frustration is trying to mix some of the garbage that I recorded.. lol :rolleyes:

samrisio said:
plug ins..midi...latency...buffer errors...hd space...memory...

Well, in the old days it used to be hiss, bias, expensive tape, alignment, replacing worn heads, wow and flutter and messing with Dolby.

No matter what medium you use for recording it is going to be "problematic" unless you are experienced in its use and accept its limits and foibles.

Heck, if it weren't for the "problems" of recording engineers like me would probably be out of a job. :) You pay us to put up with that nonsense.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Well, in the old days it used to be hiss, bias, expensive tape, alignment, replacing worn heads, wow and flutter and messing with Dolby.

No matter what medium you use for recording it is going to be "problematic" unless you are experienced in its use and accept its limits and foibles.

Heck, if it weren't for the "problems" of recording engineers like me would probably be out of a job. :) You pay us to put up with that nonsense.

Can you imagine what problems we will have 20 years from now?

Hey guys my Behringer thought recognition program must be broken because it dosen't show any brain activity output. :D

No way. Regardless of any of those old boring sound quality arguments, the capabilities are freaking endless. As far as being able to plug in and go when the inspiration hits you, when you know your setup and it's well....setup, it's every bit as easy as any tascam four track in the world. I think it's real easy to poo poo on digital recording if you don't know much about it, or don't have a whole lot of patience or desire to learn what you have. I know, I help sell and support it, and I've seen way too many people give up because of lack of patience. Im in no way saying that this is your situation. As stated above, different strokes for different folks. But for me, the fact that I can do a track, and ftp the session files to my buddy four states away for a vocal track, gives me a rock solid digital based high bit depth erection.

I think Cloneboy and peopleperson have it right. There's more to recording on a computer than instant gratification, but, as has been pointed out, once a system is properly setup and integrated, it's very easy. I have traveled with my computer & rack, set up & spent 4 days recording, knocked it all down and brought it home with a bunch of high-quality recordings. My Porta-Potty never did that.

Hey guys my Behringer thought recognition program must be broken because it dosen't show any brain activity output. :D
LOL! Mine's not broken - I just don't have any brain activity!!

well sometimes people benefit from having others setup your computer for you so you only have to click 3 buttons or so to record something. on the same level of "ok I'm tired of this shit", if you put me in front of an ADAT and sequencer and whatever else is plugged up to it....I would stare at it for about an hour and probably ask you "what do i do now?"

This is interesting. I sit and read these "analog versus digital" threads all day, which people will debate until the end of time, tape or computers, and they are usually interesting - but this is a different slant, I think.

The fact the a computer is made to do lots of stuff (and audio recording is not normally one of the primary intended uses) is, as I see it, a major downside to using computers to record. There's a lot of stuff going on within an operating system, or just getting data into the machine, that forces you to figure out what stupid thing the computer is doing - because audio is not it's primary intended purpose.

I used to think that digital recording doesn't sound as good as tape, in general. I've softened on this lately (probably ignorance to begin with). I now think that I just hate the way recording on computers feels. And that just ruins the whole thing for me.

Maybe if I had a high-end machine that was specifically built for audio, I'd change my tune....

But for now, I'm with you. I'm sick of this daw stuff too.

With the analog equipment that the average home recordists can afford to buy and maintain, I don't see it possible to equal the sound quality and flexibility of 24/44.1 digital. Editing and mixing with a computer is so much easier. Plus, you are not doing all of the mechanical maintenance that transport and head based machines require. If you can absorb the cost of a new generation computer and go through a certain learning curve, you can climb over the hill of frustration.
That being said, there is the option of stand alone digital workstations...though I've never used one. But I prefer to go with the computer because it's easy to upgrade as technology improves and I like sitting in front of a 19" monitor :)
YMMV

Terry

well i did it

i biought the roland 1600 recorder today and cannot wait to crank it up...goodbye computer!!!!!!

DAW recording: Bleccccchhh! I hate it! You can have it!

No amount of argument or reasoning will change my mind..................... Give me the lowest of low end Portastudios, and I'd still prefer it to ol'puter recording. Bleccchhh!! DAW! Goodbye!!!!!!!!:eek:

I have been using DAWs for well over a decade but they really do slow down a lot of people. I have known then to stop a lot of creative people dead in their tracks.

One good option is one of the Alesis hard disc stand along systmes. Its really easy to get from inspiration to cutting tracks.

Well, I think the first response pretty much said it all. Different strokes for different folks. Every situation is a compromise of some sort. Find where you're comfortable and make music.

Still....

Back in the day the "real engineers" got under the hood of their gear all the time. Any engineer worth his salt could solder, do basic maintenance, even mod circuits now and then. I guess that's not as relevant these days, particularly to people who just want to create. After all, now we're all artists, writers, performers, producers, engineers, etc. on the same project! Who wants to add technician to the list?

Back