I am going to buy a HD24, need mixer advice

eh91311 said:
The Allen & Heath console you are considering buying is -8 or +4 selectable:
http://www.allen-heath.com/veterans/products/system8/system8_mk3_specs.pdf

If you used a console at -10 I/O with the HD24, you would not be able to record levels near zero (-15 on the HD24), record levels would be low and the console's clean headroom (signal before clipping) would be compromised.

Except that the returns from the ADATs would also be low, so it wouldn't challenge the headroom of the mixer.

Hey, you'd never have digital clipping! But you'd have an effective 22 bit recorder, maybe only 21 if you left enough headroom to make sure you didn't clip a preamp channel.

So yeah, set it at +4.

I clicked that link and i still dont see how its +4 (i am not that smart in terms of electronics). Are you saying that the 24 outs on the a&h are +4? and that i can use this board with the hd 24 as a stand alone with nothing else needed? i know i will have to do some plug/unplugging for the mix down, but will the a&h give me 24 usefull recording tracks on the hd 24?

thanks so much

mshilarious said:
Except that the returns from the ADATs would also be low, so it wouldn't challenge the headroom of the mixer.

Hey, you'd never have digital clipping! But you'd have an effective 22 bit recorder, maybe only 21 if you left enough headroom to make sure you didn't clip a preamp channel.

So yeah, set it at +4.

sorry for asking possibly dumb obvious questions, how would i set the 24 tracks to +4?

i just want to have the mixer amd the hd 24 and be ready to go!

capnreverb said:
I clicked that link and i still dont see how its +4 (i am not that smart in terms of electronics). Are you saying that the 24 outs on the a&h are +4? and that i can use this board with the hd 24 as a stand alone with nothing else needed? i know i will have to do some plug/unplugging for the mix down, but will the a&h give me 24 usefull recording tracks on the hd 24?

thanks so much

There should be a switch on the mixer to select the output level. Unfortunately the .pdfs on the A&H site are crappy scans, so I can't make out the controls on the mixer.

capnreverb said:
i just want to have the mixer amd the hd 24 and be ready to go!

Keep in mind that if you're sending to external FX (reverb, delay, etc.) you need to return these somewhere. Make sure the console has enough returns to handle your external FX. Or alternatively, if your new console had more than 24 tracks, you could return your FX to unused channel strips and have access to EQ, insert processing and even more sends if you wanted. Also an easy way to send FX to cue mixes. That was one thing I liked about the 32 channels of the Mackie when using a 24-track tape machine.

Just something to think about. :)

That's where the ghost shines in its feature set. I believe it is considered a "dual inline" board. Basically you can set it up to return everything back. The 24 channel ghost I think technically has like 72 inputs and a very nice "mix B" function. If you haven't read up on the input options of the ghost you should check it out. Besides being a very clean and warm board, and being at a decent price, It's really been designed with the recording engineer in mind. I think that it is the perfect setup for the hd24 that won't break the bank if you do some shopping.

I allen Heath says you can switch it, then you can. You may just want to give one of their service techs a call. You should be able to use the additional tape returns as extra mix inputs. The Allen heath may even have a minimal dedicated EQ on the returns, and some aux routing. This would bring your mixdown inputs to 40, and there may be some other bus style inputs as well. It has been a long time since I have used a system 8. I think they only have three aux sends as well. The nice thing about them is that they have a very warm preamp with a smooth EQ. Much nicer than most current offerings in the sub 5k range. The frequencies will be a little different to get used to since it was designed back when the whole recording process was a lot different than alot of projects nowadays.

I belive also that a 24 channel Ghost has 56 mixdowen inputs and not 72. The mix B ont the Ghost is a nice thing, but I would not want to rely on those for mixdowns. First, it shares EQ, or else doesn't use EQ at all if I remember right. It also has limited routing functionality and a rotary pot. Alot of your older consoles actually have some seperate EQ and faders on the return path. The Ghost is an "inline" board, but only includes the absouletely most basic of inline features. In it's defense, its the only decent new board on the market in its price range that offers that kind of functionality. I have seen plenty of used boards in pretty decent shape on the market for less money, more features and in my opinion much better sound. However, with used there come a whole new set of worries (i.e. maintenance and parts) that really aren't a problem with a Ghost. For some people that piece of mind is worth the sacrifice:)

Back