I am giving you $1000 to spend...

guido #2

...So what would you spend it on?
Here are your parameters: $1K+/- for part of a digital stereo rig. Would you purchase:

A - a stereo matched pair of mics (ldc, sdc, or ?)
B - a stereo mic preamp
C - converters

The idea here is to get your input on what is the most important part of the signal chain for the money. Like I said, somewhere in the $1000 range, give or take a few. I'm thinking about doing an upgrade in this range and I'd like your input!

Hmmm.
I guess I'm looking for something more discrete and maybe more pristine. I'm not averse to coloration, but....
Here's my system now: TASCAM 300 series front end to a Digi 001 (16 simultaneous) via low to mid range mics (MXL-AT-AKG)
At the school where I teach, I get to work with grade A gear (Nuemann, Focusrite, Trident, Apogee, blah blah blah), but the $ ching for MY studio's overhead is a little bit less than a community college :P
Does that help?

If it were me, I'd be working in the order of your list: A, B & C. And as soon as I spent the $1000 on the mics, I'd hit the streets looking for the next $1000 for the pre, then the converter.

You get my point--It'd be great to upgrade an area, but then I'd want the others to follow. And I'd do it in just that order.

If it were me, I'd be working in the order of your list: A, B & C. And as soon as I spent the $1000 on the mics, I'd hit the streets looking for the next $1000 for the pre, then the converter.

You get my point--It'd be great to upgrade an area, but then I'd want the others to follow. And I'd do it in just that order.

Yup, you got the order right. I'd start with the mics. Assuming you want a matched stereo pair of SDs, I'd go check out the Beyer MC930s. Last I looked you could get a new matched pair for @$730 or so. Lots of possibilities with pairs of SDs. If you were thinking of micing cabs, I'd be looking at dynamic mics and/or ribbons.

room treatment

when do I get the 2nd instalment for more room treatment?

Dohh!!! Good call. That comes first. Or the $1000 microphones (pres, converters, etc) will just do a better job of recording the bad sound that a bad room makes of most anything...

Now me...I live & record in a pleasuredome of sonic perfection--so you can see why I overlooked it. :D

The room's as treated as it's gonna get - literally burlap covered OC703
And yeah- it's hot :D
Plus this rig-to-be will be used for remotes as well as in-house work
I guess my point is what's most important in the chain. You guys seem to think it's the mics. I'm gonna check out those Beyers....

ANy other opinions?

I guess my point is what's most important in the chain. You guys seem to think it's the mics. I'm gonna check out those Beyers....

ANy other opinions?

Your chain is only as good as it's weakest link as I'm sure you've heard...

Last year I switched over from a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 and 3 delta 1010's to a shiny new Yamaha N12 .... That was after 10 years of analog snobbery. I also ditched about 20U of outboard gear and bought another 2 UAD cards taking the total to 4 with 21 of the best plugs I've ever heard, Changed my mic pre's and convertors in the one big swoop with the N12...what a bloody difference that made to MY sexy burlap plesuredome :D

A good pre can make a 57 sound spectacular on the right source :cool:

...So what would you spend it on?
Here are your parameters: $1K+/- for part of a digital stereo rig. Would you purchase:

A - a stereo matched pair of mics (ldc, sdc, or ?)
B - a stereo mic preamp
C - converters

The idea here is to get your input on what is the most important part of the signal chain for the money. Like I said, somewhere in the $1000 range, give or take a few. I'm thinking about doing an upgrade in this range and I'd like your input!
I'd have to say mics and pres if i had $1k. M-Audio DMP3 and a pair of Naiants(probably X-Ms).

Naiants??
I never heard of them! I Googled them and went to the site. They are ridiculously affordable. Have any of you guys ever used them?
I'm pretty drawn to the Omnis....

Oh, and Waffle; Beer goes with EVERYTHING around here :D
Trouble is, my tastes would run me through $20 for beer in less than an evening:rolleyes:

Naiants??
I never heard of them! I Googled them and went to the site. They are ridiculously affordable. Have any of you guys ever used them?
I'm pretty drawn to the Omnis....

Oh, and Waffle; Beer goes with EVERYTHING around here :D
Trouble is, my tastes would run me through $20 for beer in less than an evening:rolleyes:
Naiant are a small mic(and other things) company run by a member of these forums (mshilarious). His mics get great reviews and everyone here loves them. Everyone here also loves the DMP3 as a budget pre.

A matched pair of Naiant X-Ms and a DMP3 would set you back around $300+p&p. You could spend the rest on an interface(with in-built converters), more pres and mics.

OOoooohhh, Naiant have some new mics coming in 2009!! :D:D:D

Back