I already know this one needs work...

lastdays

Following the very good suggestions in my other thread I will post another one that most likely needs even more work, if that were possible!

Please be brutal, and extremely specific!

Thanks all again for the help, this is truly the only place I have found to get this kind of help! Eventually I will get the hang of mixing and will be able to help somebody else.

Also, recorded vocal in stereo, please let me know how that turned out as well.

later,
lastdays

Sounds good man, good performance on the vocals. Acoustic guitar sounds great, love the strings.The bass is sounding too boomy to me, like there are parts of my condo shaking right now that i've never heard before. Try rolling off the bass on the final mix like below 40-50hz-Might make the vocals come forward a bit as well. Sounds good man-what's with the laugh near the end? hehe.

*edit to add* This song is too long imo. Took me 6 minutes to listen and type and it's still going on...

Song's pretty good, although a bit too long and monotone. Praising the Lord is OK, but you tend to lose the listener's attention.
Drums sound very weak. You have some effect on the voice that makes it swish left and right, it's quite distracting. It's also effecting the level of the vocals, they're sometimes loud, sometimes low. Acoustic sounds pretty good. With some tweaking and a less monotonous arrangement you could make this better.

Very good points. I agree with all of them. I hope I can get away with editing it without having to retrack the whole thing.

The Bass- ya you are completely right, its ridiculous, I will try the roll off, but you have to admit it was an interesting experiment ;)

The Swish- recorded in stereo with two mics, panned hard. I could reduce the pan and cut down on the swishing I believe.

The arrangement is monotonous, I agree, not sure what to do about it... I could retrack the vocal and cut the whole thing in half, maybe save everything else that way... worth a try I suppose.

Thank you much Stratomaster and joeym for your insight!

lastdays

I liked the guitar sound. The strings were a nice touch.

The drums sound very distant. They're soft and seem to be missing some highs.

I'd work on mic technique. Words at the end of lines tend to get lost.

The vocal also seems to float back and forth from right to left. Not sure if you used two mics on the vocal, but it sounds like it.

Backing vocals would be nice. A three part female section just doing "ahs" in the chorus would work.

backing vocal on the chorus, good idea! maybe I could get my wife in on it, not too much of a fan of the "choir" sounds my virtual intrument suite has.

Mic technique... needs work ya... for one thing my attempt at stereo recording didnt go as well as I had hoped! lol

It seems I have a habit of downplaying the drums in my mixes, must fix!

very good feedback! a few more weeks like this and I MIGHT have some decently mixed songs to bring to Seattle for Christmas! (visiting family)

Remixed!

It has been reforged! sort of...

Hey I was up late trying to make a much less monotonous arrangement and mix of this song, somebody please tell me what else needs fixing, or just enjoy ;)

Thanky much!

Much better mix (especially without that panning vocal). But it is still a monotonous and unreasonably long song.

Much better mix (especially without that panning vocal). But it is still a monotonous and unreasonably long song.
lol, ya I thought about chopping it off at a logical point a few minutes before the end but I said "nah!" I still may of course as the HR crew seems unanimous on this!

Thanks for the compliment, I think ;) its all relative after all.

What I was really going for on this particular mix was to introduce so much extra stuff that it stays interesting throughout, seems I did not succeed. I am not so sure that even twenty additional instruments all piled on in an explosion of symphonic activity would change anybody's mind about that, pity. I did try though ;)

I tried panning the individual vocal channels less, but wouldnt you know, they were out of phase! you all probably know an easy fix for that, but ditching the sdc recorded side sure was alot easier!

maybe I will try the symphonic explosion strategy anyway... ;)

I am glad it is better though, that is the goal, even if its still not "really good" you have all been very helpful in getting me unstuck!

the second mix is significantly improved good job! I still wouldn't mind some more drum presence. sounds more like a compressor fix than a level gain. props on the guitar btw. sounds crystal clear and perfect EQ for my taste!

Hi lastdays,

I don't think the core of the song is bad at all, but it gets repetitive in your efforts to go epic. There is nothing wrong with a 3 or 4 minute song. You could perhaps end with a "power and freedom" chanting loop that can be made any length when you play live (I'm thinking something like the Beetles "Hey Jude").

the second mix is significantly improved good job! I still wouldn't mind some more drum presence. sounds more like a compressor fix than a level gain. props on the guitar btw. sounds crystal clear and perfect EQ for my taste!

Thank you much sir! its amazing what you can do with an inexpensive sdc and the cheapest mexican Martin known to man ;)

I don't think the core of the song is bad at all, but it gets repetitive in your efforts to go epic. There is nothing wrong with a 3 or 4 minute song. You could perhaps end with a "power and freedom" chanting loop that can be made any length when you play live (I'm thinking something like the Beetles "Hey Jude").

Epic would be nice, I think I would settle for just nice to listen to ;)

Anybody think the choir stuff is over the top? I think I need to redo the piano stuff, feels a bit off... late night mixing does that kind of thing to me :D

Back