Hybrid/Combo XLR?

Damian227

Ok my friends Audio Interface's Mic input is listed as a Hybrid/Combo XLR... does this mean it also accepts 1/4" jacks as they seem to fit perfectly?

My mixer states the same and does accept both, however his interface, despite saying that, gives zero recording input when using a 1/4" mic cable. There are two extra buttons 'Instr' and 'Pad' neither of them allow any mic signal through. Yet the XLR cable does work... so am I just misunderstand what the Hybrid/Combo means?

Ok my friends Audio Interface's Mic input is listed as a Hybrid/Combo XLR... does this mean it also accepts 1/4" jacks as they seem to fit perfectly?

yes

My mixer states the same and does accept both, however his interface, despite saying that, gives zero recording input when using a 1/4" mic cable. There are two extra buttons 'Instr' and 'Pad' neither of them allow any mic signal through. Yet the XLR cable does work... so am I just misunderstand what the Hybrid/Combo means?

What are you putting through the 1/4" input? Even though the combo XLR accepts both, the 1/4" bit is usually intended for line-level signal or instruments. It doesn't supply phantom power. For mikes, stick to XLR.

What are you putting through the 1/4" input? Even though the combo XLR accepts both, the 1/4" bit is usually intended for line-level signal or instruments. It doesn't supply phantom power. For mikes, stick to XLR.

Ah right that make sense, I guess I switch to 'Instr' in the Hybrid when using instruments (line level) and normal when using mics.

That however means I need to buy an XLR cable as my AT4040SM came with a nice high quality gold 1/4" mic cable. Any suggestions of a top quality mic cable?... I don't want to upgrade to a similar interface and then use a low quality cheap cable.

Thanks

An ordinary XLR cable will do just fine. Any quality differences in leads will be overwhelmed by quality issues elsewhere in your system.

Ah right that make sense, I guess I switch to 'Instr' in the Hybrid when using instruments (line level) and normal when using mics.

That however means I need to buy an XLR cable as my AT4040SM came with a nice high quality gold 1/4" mic cable. Any suggestions of a top quality mic cable?... I don't want to upgrade to a similar interface and then use a low quality cheap cable.

Thanks

If you want a high quality mic lead that is almost impossible to kill, I recommend B.L.U.E. Kiwi quad cable.-Richie

Yeah somebody else recommended that one, along with a few people saying Mogami Quad W2534.

If you're capable of soldering the ends on yourself - Mogami's a good deal since it's dirt cheap at places like redco. I've been using Mogami 2534 for all my non-snake balanced cables for a long time, because it's cheap, and it's just as good as any other cable...

Related, and somewhat humorous story: A guitarist friend of mine actually made a point to show me his "special" Mogami cables that he got for some kind of insane price at GuitarCenter or something...he wasn't so impressed when I showed him that his cable actually only cost like 62 cents per foot, and even "fancier" gold-plated, diamond-tipped, platinum spattered (etc, etc :rolleyes:) connectors than those that came on his instrument cables - only cost about 3 bucks. Cable hype is just like any other kind of hype: It's 99% BS, and I recommend not buying into it. :cool:

Back