Hunting for a decent 5 string bass!?

Mmm just checked it out; pretty sexy!

I currently have a fender squire bronco haha so it's a little bit of a step up. Just need something that has a bit more umph!

i don't have the stilleto, but i've got an '01 schecter model T that's still running damn strong these 10 years later..things a beast, but it's a 4. idk if schecter quality is still the same today, but i love it. it's made in korea i believe; it's the diamond series

I have a Stilleto 5 string .... that exact bass in fact.

It's decent ...... sounds good ..... neck is largish ........ electronics do the job. A little hiss IF you turn the highs on the bass all the way up but otherwise fairly quiet.

If I did more bass gigs I'd want something higher end but probably would get another Schecter because of the price. They make a neck-thru I wouldn't mind having.
But 9 out of 10 gigs I do is on sax or guitar so it's sufficient for the gigs I do.

Bass players I need your help.

I'm a guitartist looking for a reasonably priced 5 string bass for home recording with.

I've been in the same market for a long time now, so I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm a fan of the more retro-sounding passive single-coil pickups like in a J-bass. I have a Rondo SX 5-string J-bass knockoff. It was about $175 and beats anything else in its price range, but that's not saying much since that low-end price range is so filled with junky thrown-together imports.

Those Schecter basses have really caught my attention over the years, but I'm a little afraid that the style of pickups they use is going to sound too modern for my tastes.

Tadpui, i'm pretty sure you can get some sort of 5-string in a PJ set...for example, they used to make the Model-T in a 5 string..same thing as mine, just the extra string, and it was a PJ set of pickups. they sound pretty nice

edit.....seems as if they don't make the model T in 5 string anymore like htey did in the early 2000's....they do make this killer looking 5 string P though, it's got P pickups and a soapbar:

http://schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Diamond-P-Custom-5.aspx

i'm a fan of schecters ripoff looking basses/guitars, i.e., the pbass, jazz bass, telecaster looking ones..not their crazy wacky designs.

ZoSo, I do like the looks of those Schecter basses. I especially like their j-bass style ones, although I don't see a 5-stringer in that lineup.

With those Diamond series, I have to wonder what the pickup really close to the bridge sounds like. Seems like it would be really bright.

Agreed, their "look how metal I am!" designs bug me, but their more traditional ones are very nice.

ZoSo, I do like the looks of those Schecter basses. I especially like their j-bass style ones, although I don't see a 5-stringer in that lineup.

With those Diamond series, I have to wonder what the pickup really close to the bridge sounds like. Seems like it would be really bright.

Agreed, their "look how metal I am!" designs bug me, but their more traditional ones are very nice.
ummm ...... not THAT bright. I pretty much tend to keep the balance control in the middle with a slight bit more bridge than neck but occassionally I go to just the bridge. It does have more highs but they seem more concentrated in the mids and upper mids.

on my model T, the i've got the J pickup at the bridge, and it's not that bad....but i never ever use it by itself. i only like the sound of humbuckers down there really...i believe that's a hum in that 5-string P bass i showed you, or atleast a soapbar..i love the sound of soapbars/hums down at the bridge, give a nice funky musicman vibe for slap, a nice dirty tone.

oh and i completely agree about that "metal" look the schecters have.....i'm really only a fan of the P and Jazz basses they make. i'd love to get an american one made out in cali, but they're around 2 grand! next on my list is definitely a schecter J bass though.

Tadpui, i'm pretty sure you can get some sort of 5-string in a PJ set...for example, they used to make the Model-T in a 5 string..same thing as mine, just the extra string, and it was a PJ set of pickups. they sound pretty nice

edit.....seems as if they don't make the model T in 5 string anymore like htey did in the early 2000's....they do make this killer looking 5 string P though, it's got P pickups and a soapbar:

Diamond P-Custom 5 - Schecter Guitar Research

i'm a fan of schecters ripoff looking basses/guitars, i.e., the pbass, jazz bass, telecaster looking ones..not their crazy wacky designs.

Damnn that's nice.

I suppose I'm after a relatively modern tone; most of my stuff is pretty epic sounding and I like a very tight, clean, huge sound.

I guess the Schecter might be the way to go!

The Stilleto is hardly a wacky metal looking bass.

:mad:

I sure wouldn't mind a real 5 string P-Bass though.

Nah, I don't think that the Stiletto is headbangy. But some of Schecter's line is pretty silly looking.

My ideal bass would be an American Standard J-Bass 5-string, but they're up to like $1700 or more now! I can't belive how their prices have jumped up in recent years.

Nah, I don't think that the Stiletto is headbangy. But some of Schecter's line is pretty silly looking.

My ideal bass would be an American Standard J-Bass 5-string, but they're up to like $1700 or more now! I can't belive how their prices have jumped up in recent years.

Save up for it, my Dolphin SN5 was 1900, Buzzard was 2800, if you want it enough, you'll get it in the end. And you'll think it's a bargain.

that's so much money though......the only reason i got my G&L L2000 was because i'm pretty sure the idiots at guitar center thought it was a tribute series. it's an '87 american made L2000, 3 bolt neck, leo fender signature model and it was only $650. what a damn steal. i would've never bought a brand new L2000 because they're upwards of $1300 and i simply don't have that kinda cash.....but you cut a 23 year old bass's price in half when it's immaculate and there's not a damn thing wrong with it, then hell yeah i'll buy it haha

I was going to say try a Wesley 5 string. I got one on ebay back in 2005 and I think it's good. It was like £119 which is cheap. Wesley has an ebay shop........but I couldn't find any 5 strings on it right now ! Maybe they're going down the pans.

Back