Humbuckers. Should I install single coil switch?

Fishybob

Hi all

I'm having the seymour duncan Everything Axe set of mini humbuckers installed in my strat. The dude says he can fit a single coil switch for not much. He says that I can run with the humbuckers or flip a switch to engage just single coils. Anyone used these? Does this sound like a good idea? Will they sound any good?!

Any feedback would be great.

I'd have it done just to see how it sounds. I've heard that they aren't as hot as a regular single coil (usually), but it still may sound great. You never know unless you give it a try!

I don't know how it'd work with the minis, but with a regular humbucker you're gonna get a slight bit of volume drop, when you engage the coil tap...which is really what the "single coil switch" is. My Ibanez JTK-2 Jet King was factory equipped with coil tap switches, which is how I know about the volume drop.

Matt

Thanks for the input guys.

I was expectign a volume drop as these mini humbuckers do put out a hot signal. I suppose I am justr thinking of flexability. All my guitars are humbuckers. If I could have the possibility of turning this strat back into a strat then theat may give me options in recording.

Any other thoughts out there? Does coil tapping sound good?

I have a coil tap switch on a couple of my guitars. At first I didn't use the single coil side much, then I got into playing with more of a clean sound, since then the coil tap has proven to be well worth the extra cost and effort to install it. The volume drop isn't too drastic but it does drop a little. The difference in tone is far more noticeable than the volume drop.

Sweet! Thanks man. I'll get it installed and find a reason to use it later!

The whole idea of getting someone to wire my guitar is so they can do something special with it. Why not!

I'll let you all know how I get on.

I have 2 Teles and 3 Strats with switches on the bridge humbuckers and I find them Very useful. Playing live I don't notice the volume drop that much and the single coil sound cuts through just great.

Back