humbucker instalation

skivy

there are 5 wires on the back of this pick-up. When i took my stock ibanez ice man bridge pickup out it only had two soddered in to the suitch, the wire without the covering and the white one. Is that correct and how should i hook the new one up to get all that i can out if it?

There are two common wirings for humbuckers, two conductor, and four conductor. With two conductor, you have a hot and a ground/shield. With four conductor, you will generally have a green, a black, a red and a white (these are the colors on Seymour Duncan pickups, and may different for other manufacturers). Each conductor is one end of the wire for each coil. If you want a standard combination, you solder the white and the red together, and use the green as the ground, and the black as the hot. There is also a shield, which gets soldered to the ground. On a two conductor humbuckers, the equivalent of the red and white are already soldered together. The red and white on a four conductor are used for series/parallel, coil tapping, and polarity reversal. If you want schematics, check out Seymour Duncans website, www.seymourduncan.com .

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back