Huge Bass Boost Problem

If you start a new project, go to Insert->Media Item... and add the .wav file that you just exported, does it sound normal when you play it back? Or is there still a bass boost on it?

[edit] Also, sorry Ashcat...just noticed that you suggested the same thing already.

Hmmm, definitely odd.

I'm not a pro at deciphering Reaper's routing matrix, but can you post a pic of yours for this project? I think that you can access it under the View->Routing Matrix menu item.

I didnt even know what that was or it existed haha, Looks like I still have a lot to learn about Reaper.

Anyway, there it is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 4.07.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 4.07.44 PM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 48
The routing matrix is a good way to take an overall look at your routing, just to make sure there isn't something goofy set up. Yours looks fine, as far as I can tell. No tracks routed directly to the master output, and no master routed anywhere other than the main stereo output.

This is a good quick tutorial on what the heck the diagram means: Reaper:Routing matrix

I'm really stumped here. If it's not the master effects, and its not any goofy routing, and it's not the rendering options...what the heck is boosting your rendering volume?

I googled a bit to look for similar problems. The only other thing that I can find is that maybe the Pan Law is having an effect on this. I've never used the Pan Law setting, but it tells Reaper to alter the rendered volume of things based on where they're panned. You can find this setting under the project settings dialog box. I think that the default should be -3 dB. Or maybe it's 0 dB, sorry I'm not sure.

And try right-clicking the pan knob on your panned tracks to see if there are any funky overrides on individual tracks that may be interfering.

Honestly I can't see why that would be different while listening to the project versus in the rendered file though...but it's something to at least take a look at.

It could be my bass track.

I can't afford a bass so I'm using Native Instruments free factory selection in Kontakte. It might be messing up during the rendering.

Oh, one other thing...in your render settings, select 24-bit PCM WAV instead of the 64-bit FP setting. And you can experiment with different sample rates while rendering to see if that helps.

You may have already done this, but try:

1 Get rid of all effects on the master bus; multiband, limiter, widener.

2 Render the track at 44.1/24

3 Load the rendered track into a new project (which also has no FX on the master bus)

They should be identical

yea, I did that a little bit ago. I'm convinced at this point its the software I use for bass guitar.
Ill try to make another recording of the same song but borrow my friends bass guitar and see how that pans out

That was it! I borrowed my friends bass and it worked like a charm.

This isn't the first time Ive had a problem with using something in Kontakte, its made my computer crash several times. Guess i'll just stay away from it from now on.

Some plugins will be weird in offline render mode for various reasons. There are some settings in the Preferences that might help. I wonder if freezing or rendering stems of those VSTis would work better. If not, you can do it the realtime way by routing each to a new track and then on those tracks right-click the record button and choose the appropriate Output option. Real bass is probably better anyway, but knowing that your crap works is even betterer.

I think that falls into the "something screwey" bin.

Based solely on the information in this thread, and the screenshots, I'm stumped. If you load a new project in reaper with nothing on the master and insert the rendered file, does it sound right?

Maybe post the sound?
Ah! Seeing it's Reaper and with their matrix view does make a 'miss-assigned fault quite unlikely! Nice feature!

Last edited:
Back