HS80M question

minds device

I just bought these and they have no bass in my 14X10 room. The walls are bare and I am just wondering if I use some bass traps and acoustic treatments if these will show me what is going on in the low end more accurately? I am shocked at the lack of bass in these things. I can listen to "the package" by a perfect circle (has a nice full warm bass) and it sounds wimpy on the hs80m. Can I get these to sound good or do I need a sub or what?

BTW I paid 600.00 out the door with two 20' 1/4"-XLR Cables.
Is that a good deal?

Those aren't exactly "big bass" speakers - But undoubtedly, the more low end you can trap, the more accurately the low end will be coming from the speakers. If you're in a null area (which wouldn't surprise me at all considering the size of the room and that there are no broadband treatments currently in use), you could easily be hearing (or more accurately, *not* hearing) dips of 30dB or more.

Just as a gentle warning - A room that small with that ratio is going to require a fairly ridiculous amount of trapping... All four corners (8 traps) and high sides (4 traps) will make a dent. But it could take considerably more to actually get the room under "serious" control.

I was afraid of that. Last night I moved them from the desired position AWAY from the wall and moved them back towards the wall a bit. This helped boost the bass a little and now things sound more like they should, but still not "accurate" I'm sure. What would be an inexpensive and aesthetically pleasing way to treat? Can someone point me to some of these broadband traps? All I see are "bass traps?" or are they all the same?

They're considered "bass traps" a lot because they actually touch the bass a little (as opposed to foam & other assorted goofiness). But more accurately, they're broadband traps.

GIK Tri-Traps (great for corners) & 244's are a start.

On the ultra-cheap, you can stack bags of R32 in the corners. Ugly, but reasonably effective.

Back