HRM-14 Vocal Track (Group Buy Alctron)

ljmaxx

Hurricane Offender
I just did a quick one take using the HRM-14 on my vox. It is a dual ribbon mic manufactured by Alctron Audio in China and was one of the mics in the group purchase.

The song was writen by G Becker who is an old friend of mine living in Nashville. He was looking for a mellow vocal delivery on this song so I thought the HRM-14 would be a decent choice. I know the vocals can be better but it will give those of you an idea of how the HRM-14 sounds on vox. Click the link below and listen to the 7th song Leave It Behind.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4189&alid=-1

For those of you who can't play the song try here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=80904 HRM-14 Mic Test.

I hope this gives some of you an idea of the performance of the mic. :)

Last edited:
codec

Would love to hear this,but it says I don't have the right codec to play this song???????????

Walt

Must be something with your PC. I just opened the file with real player, windows MP, winamp, and music match. I don't have any suggestions for you. Sorry.

I managed to listen by choosing winamp etc... Sounds nice but a bit dark. My Sontronics Sigma looks quite a bit like this Alctron mic but seem to deliver a ritcher sound with more treble in it.

BB54 said:
My Sontronics Sigma looks quite a bit like this Alctron mic but seem to deliver a ritcher sound with more treble in it.

...for about 5-6 times the price I would hope so... ;)

BB54 said:
I managed to listen by choosing winamp etc... Sounds nice but a bit dark. My Sontronics Sigma looks quite a bit like this Alctron mic but seem to deliver a ritcher sound with more treble in it.

I should have said in my original post that there is no EQ on the HRM-14. What you hear is the mic through a Focusrite Twin Trak Pro with all setting on 0 except the gain. I suppose I could do a track of the same vocal with EQ applied. The HRM-14 was right at $100 with shipping. How much was your Sigma? ;)

Jim

ljmaxx said:
The HRM-14 was right at $100 with shipping. How much was your Sigma? ;)Jim

Jim...I don't know what he paid for the Sigma, but I haven't seen one for less than $600...and although the Sontronic's mic resembles the Alctron, the likeness ends there...a single ribbon mic that utilizes phantom power in place of a transformer driven design...pretty unique actually...here's a link:
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=40840&Category=Microphones

...now, that (dare I say) Karma ribbon mic you just received...might be more in the Sontronics class...I'm looking forward to your evaluation... :cool:

For all you guys who can't play the song do any of you have a site to host this clip?

kidvybes said:
...for about 5-6 times the price I would hope so... ;)
Yeah. But it is amazing how good the cheap ribbons are. I also have a t.bone (just like nady etc) with a Lundahl tranny, it sounds just fine!

BB54 said:
Yeah. But it is amazing how good the cheap ribbons are. I also have a t.bone (just like nady etc) with a Lundahl tranny, it sounds just fine!

Which Lundahl transformer do they use? I'm thinking about upgrading my Nady.

Back