HP AMD 2500 laptop

Lorddiagram

Anyone have any comments/experience with the HP AMD 2500 laptop refurb on sale at PC Mall for 799?

Seems like a good deal and a wrokable recording machine. Am I dumb?

Thanks

lD

Lorddiagram said:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=367286

is the link to it. 512MB ram- 40 gig hard drive, CD-RW

Seems like a good deal- I don't care about hard drive space as I will use an external fire wire drive.

lD

I just picked up a new M5309 laptop from eMachines at Best Buy for $1200 ($1000 after mail in rebates).

Its basically the same thing but with 3 USB 2.0 ports, a bigger HD and a 15.4" widescreen display which comes in very handy with DAW software.

I'd spend an extra $200 and go for something new rather than refurbished.

I oogled that one a long time

and decided against it just because of the HD speed. I opted for a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a 60 gig 7200 HD. That's what I felt I needed for my Layla. I just got it last week so I'm just getting started with it, I'm waiting for my SX and Wavelab upgrades to give it a full it workout.

not really concerned withthe internal hard drive speed - I already have 2 7200 rpm fire wire drives. WHy is this thing so cheap? AN AMD 2500 with 512mb seems too good to be true.

Are these things crappy?

lD

Refurbished means something was wrong with it at some point and that it had to be fixed. If you're ok with that, then buy it.

I personally rather buy new when it comes to computer hardware.

i have the computer. i run reason, live and soundforge on it with a midiman oxygen 8 as a controller.

the amd athlon xp-m 1.86 ghz is fast. i read on the net that it is the equivalent of a 2.5 ghz, but can't verify that.

i have made a reason track using some30 devices and the cpu usuage is around 40%.

the build quality of the computer is good, no issues with quality
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problems:

It only has 2 usb 1.1 slots. No built in firefire, although I think a higher end model does have the option.

The power shileding is poor. If you plug in the power supply, you will get extra noise if you are using a USB/audio interface. I've tested this on three separate units. You will have to strictly run on battery if recording or playing live, and the standard battery lasts about 2 hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was using the us122, but recently switched to an Echo Indigo IO and I'm very pleased with the set-up. Witht he Indigo, the package is complete. It is extremely compact, portable, and it's converters sound great.

I also did all the XP audio tweaks and the computer has functioned flawlessly, with the power supply noise being the only issue. If there wasn't the shilding problem, the computer would be near perfect.

Roger

Back