How's your JOHNSON?

DS

I went to the music store today to try out amps.I tried a few fenders then the clerk asked me if i've ever tried a johnson.Seeing the "I'm about to kill you and your little gerble too" look on my face,he then pointed to three johnson amps.I played the 50w model.It had some great sounding amp styles not to mention effects.The only thing is I couldn't crank it in the store.My question is,has anyone owned or used one of these amps and what do you think of them?It's so wierd,just the other day my wife was saying how she could use a new johnson.Well,her birthday is coming up soon hehehehe!

Digital amps can sound good if your playing style incorporates a lot of different effects. I love tube amps with an analog chorus pedal in front. I think any amp can sound good but you have to take in your own guitar and really turn them up and listen. I love stores where you can go into small rooms and really evaluate an amp. Did you check out the Fender Hot Rod Deville or Hot Rod Deluxe? The Deville is amazing for classic rock, blues, jazz. If you buy a digitally modeled amp buy one that has an XLR out or a line out. Check out some of these amps http://www.tech21nyc.com They make good stuff. Yamaha has good modeled amps.

Hi DS, I had the johnson 150 for about a year and it was a love hate realitionship all the way. I'm not going to trash it all together, I did like some of the sounds I could get with it but if your into tubes it just isnt close enough, not for me anyway. And did I mention it weighs a FRIGGIN 40 TONS! The best answer I can give you though is to try it out somewhere besides that "music store" thats where I got suckered in. Good luck!

I've had the jm 120 for about six months now. I love it. I've owned 50-100 watt marshall's, fenders, tube works and though it wont give you an exact cranked tube sound it does come close on many models(amp).What turned me on to this amp was the fact that it could closely emulate a vintage tube sound , but more importantly for me the digital section sounds awesome.

My wife loves my Johnson. She cranks it up every night.
Actually..I am a little wary of buying any "all in one" type set-ups, whether it is a rack effect or an amp. It is probably an excellent amp, but like many multi-uses devices, if one thing goes wrong on it, the whole thing is out of commision...
But so far, my Johnson has produced 2 kids, and shows no sign of breaking down on me yet.
DJ

Back