mwarkentin

Any major problems you hear?

OH's: AT Pro37R
Snare: SM57
Kick: SM57
Hat: AKG C1000
Rack Toms: SM58's
Floor Tom: Rode NTK

This is for pretty heavy music, System of a Down kind of. There are some definite screw ups, but I'm just trying to get any final ideas before laying down our final drum tracks.

Bigger Kick Mic

Sounds good, I like the sound... Just one thing bugs me though... If you're going for a bigger, heavier sound, I would use a mic with a larger diaphragm for your kick drum.

The SM57 won't cut it.

Yeah I know.. we HAD a beta 52, but the guy we were borrowing it from needs it until sunday. SO. We are going to record this way (unless the NTK might be ok on kick? Could be dangerous, I don't know how much pressure it can take. Anyways, we may re-record the drum tracks when we can get the beta 52 back.

There's some that are good, and some things that might need some work. Some things that I think need some work are: the snare. It's really lacking the crack and cutting power that it probably should have. The hats are a little loud, but sound ok, mybe could be a little crisper, dunno, maybe a little less compression. The kick definatly needs that 52. Not sure what kind of cymbals you're using, or if it's the mics, but they sound lower quality cymbals, but that's ok. I like the toms. They could use a little more panning I think. I hope I didn't come across as harsh, or anything, just pointing out some stuff. Over all you have a pretty good sounding kit there, and I'm sure it will sound even better when you have it with the rest of the instruments.

Snare: We've got some muffling on there that I could take off.. I'll try that.

Hi-Hat/Toms: This isn't anywhere near a final mix, I just sorta threw levels to somewhere where everything sounded decent, and panned things a bit.

Snare is the only thing being compressed right now, saving everything else for mixdown.

The cymbals are CHEAP... I hate their sound. But not much I can do about that right now. :(

Thanks for the comments though. :) Any help I can get is great!

Back