Hows this mix?

leaningpine

I've got a song I'd like feedback on. I think it sounds OK but could use some tweaking here and there, but then again someone said I don't know how to record so I've lost all confidence in my ability:rolleyes:

feel free to let me know what you guys think.

I recorded the drums using an SM57 on the snare, 2 AKG perception 200's for overheads to capture the rest of the set, I did use another 57 on the underside of the ride, which I really didn't need I guess

I recorded the guitar direct using a line 6 flextone III and a Gibson SG

Bass is direct from a Fender P-bass

Vocals recorded lead vox with the AKG and the backing a combination of AKG and sm57 for doubling

Thanks!

http://plunder.com/752abd6a69

I'll judge by instrument.

Vocals - Add some high frequencies. It sounds kind of like singing through an amp in a garage and micing the amp.

Distorted Guitars - They need to come up in the mix. Also, the solo can come up.

Bass - Take some off the low and high frequencies. It sounds like it was plugged straight into the mixer with no effects. You don't want that sound. Try using the free VST Free Amp 3. If you put that on the bass, it will de-suck the bass sound. Make sure you compress is too.

Drums - You need take out some of the mids and the lows of the snare. The kick should come up a bit.

Good song. It just needs a bit of tweaking :) By the way, what DAW do you use?

Thanks.... It is garage BTW lol. I recorded the drums and vox in my garage. I've got treatment on the walls but my mic's aren't the best and I don't have a vocal booth.

The vocals were direct into the recorder. It seemed like I could get the right sound in the quieter section but when my vocals got louder they thinned out a bit, The mic you think?

The Bass was plugged straight in, I was having problems getting a decent bass sound and thought I could fix it in EQ but the bass is a problem for me.

I originally had no EQ on the snare but I thought it was to snappy, so I added some lows to it.

I recorded it with a Fostex 16 track hard disk recorder and uploaded it to adobe audition 3.0 for tweaking and mixing. I just started recording direct to my computer so that's another learning process. I'll post a mix of a song I totally recorded on the computer soon.

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated!

Cool intro, and nice energy when the whole band comes in.

I find the vocals, and to a certain extent everything else, but mostly the vocals, sound sound a little box-y. Like you cut too much highs (I don't know if you did, just saying it sounds like that).

The drums are weird. I find them a little box-y, as if there's no highs, but then the bell ride comes in, and it sounds crisp and nice. But I don't hear the same sheen on the hi-hats or the rest of the kit. Which leads me to believe that with a little tweaking of mic placement, you're not far from getting a really good kit sound. It's pretty good now, just sounds a little raw because of what I hear as a little boxy-ness.

I like the guitars, playing and sound.

Cool tune all around. Good vocals and guitar playing.

Thanks, I only had a limited number or mics for the drums, I have thought about getting a couple more 57's for the toms so i won't have to rely on overheads.

I'm pretty shy about high end, I left it flat because I was afraid of frying tweeters. The ride bell I had mic'ed seperate, after listening to the mix it was hard to decide whether to keep it or just let the overheads grab it.

I have thought about getting a couple more 57's for the toms so i won't have to rely on overheads.

I don't think the toms are the problem. They're fat and in your face. When they do those double hits in the stops, they sound great there. I would use a pair of whatever you used to capture your ride as overheads.

Ok, I set my fear aside and turned up the treble a bit on the overheads and vocals, probably too much, but.....

I also took some of the low end out of the snare and put some mids in the Bass but forgot to lower the volume so give me a break there. Also brought the guitars up a bit. Check it out and see if there was an improvement or if I made it worse

http://plunder.com/d9d6d66756

I like it better. I'm also able to listen louder now, so that might have something to do with it.

I'll let others with better ears than mine let you know if there's too much highs, but I don't think so.

Back