How's this for a live recording?

Sounds pretty damn good for one track. You must have a good sounding room. The song itself isn't my cup of tea. Those chords just sound weird to me. I like the drums though and the drummer's attitude

Very cool. I've always liked live takes (even if they're multitracked) like this. There's an energy level that's usually lacking when tunes are "built" from the ground up.

Nice job. The bass is a bit lacking in the mix but overall sounds very good especially with accompanying video. The drums have a nice controlled sound considering the circumstances and good playing as well. I wish more bands would do stuff like this, it reminds me of the early days of mtv where occasionally you'd see a band setup on a soundstage for a live take, more interesting and revealing than a canned movie. Cool song as well i liked the airy but math-y guitars and an interesting arrangement.

Strat

VERY cool.
Live vibe is excellent.
I know you'll laugh but in parts it sounds like a Scots Talking Heads.

"For some reason, when I listened to it, the volume goes up and down in certain areas....why is that ?"

I'm unsure, it seems fine through everything I've checked it through. Unless it's overloading one of your amps?

VERY cool.
Live vibe is excellent.
I know you'll laugh but in parts it sounds like a Scots Talking Heads.

Talking Neds maybe? (not sure how far this pun travels)

Sounds good to me. Agree with the comment on more bass needed - I can hear a bit of Dirty Projectors in there too. You guys ever play outside of Glasgow?

Hahahah.

They will be announcing a tour shortly as far as I'm aware and you can check them out at http://www.facebook.com/prontomama

About the bass, It's definitely a phase issue, is there any audio unit plug-in I can use with Logic that will alter the 'degree' of the phase without flipping it completely? One that's free!

I've seen waves' inphase but it's like £250!

I could try using the 'sample delay' plug in actually!

I'll give it a bash!

[Sorry, I tend to ramble on with my train of thought and forget to delete stuff]

About the bass, It's definitely a phase issue, is there any audio unit plug-in I can use with Logic that will alter the 'degree' of the phase without flipping it completely? One that's free!

Yeah - a sample slider will do the trick. You are talking about two bass tracks recorded at the same time, but out of phase right?

Yep.

As it's live, the other mics are partly picking up the bass track and mics (such as the guitar mics) are facing roughly 90º and 180º from the bass amp.

It's positioned facing 45º from the keyboarder/backing vocalist, and his amp is 45º*from him facing directly at the bass amp.
The Kick drum mic will pick up (due to the way bass frequencies curve round) roughly 180º out of phase bass. There's another guitar amp to the right of the bass amp (270º), an overhead behind the floor tom, and above the clash cymbal/snare which are both picking up the bass.

And as I learned, the Rode NT1A's polar pattern is anything but cardioid, it's picking up lots of bass (which a low cut takes care of mostly!).

So it seems that next time, the bass player will be monitoring through headphones if I have anything to say about it haha!

I'll try the sample delay and see how I get on!

Back