How's my sound? Would LOVE opinions

great stuff

yeah, the sound is really really great. i would love to hear that with a full band in the backround. what effect pedal or box did you use?

Really? no joke? thanks...no stomp box...just my agile 2000 into a cube 15 mic'ed with an sm57...then into my alesis multimix usb mixer and recorded with acid

I agree with Ben--good sound. But I'm hesitant to call it great without hearing it in the context of a mix. You might find that the high end is a bit too "sizzly" and the scooped sound with the thicker bottom end could get lost with drums and a bass.

It's a great jamming sound. I have a number of those dialed in for when I'm jamming by myself--but those aren't usually the ones that sound best in a mix. I think when we guitar players are jamming solo we tend to go for sounds that cover the whole spectrum--it's only natural and it sounds great by itself.

But when there's a whole mix, you've got other instruments occupying other parts of the spectrum: bass down low, cymbals up high, snare in the middle, etc... There are no hard and fast rules, but generally I find that the guitar sounds that work best in a heavy mix are ones that sound a bit more midrangey by themselves.

This one could certainly get there easily though--who knows, maybe it's already there. And it sounds like you've done a nice job with your mic placement. Time to add some drums and bass and see how it stands up.

Yeah...but i think this should rest well enough in a mix with a little bit of EQ'ing if necessary...my amp settings were set up so that i had more than enough mids...i cut down the lows from where i usually have them and left the highs right where i like em...my settings were Gain=6 Mids=6 Bass=4 Highs=8

Yeah...but i think this should rest well enough in a mix with a little bit of EQ'ing if necessary...my amp settings were set up so that i had more than enough mids...i cut down the lows from where i usually have them and left the highs right where i like em...my settings were Gain=6 Mids=6 Bass=4 Highs=8

Like I said, you may indeed be there. Put it in a mix and find out.

I think that sound would fit well into the track-but it will likely need another track with a bit more low end to fill out that guitar part of the sound spectrum. Add something played on the neck pickup, that will probably work quite well.

I just added the bass to the track. Fills out the low end but sounds far too boomy to me. What do you think? Any tips on how to make the bass cut more and not sound so low end?

I just added the bass to the track. Fills out the low end but sounds far too boomy to me. What do you think? Any tips on how to make the bass cut more and not sound so low end?
Typical guitarist sound engineer. Bass is way to quiet in the mix.

From what i can hear of it, there isn't much to the bass but bass. Sounds like everything else has been cut. How are you recording it and has it been edited?

I can't listen very loudly through monitors(its 1.30am) and my headphones aren't the best, but from what i hear, i think the bass should be re-recorded. If you're not willing to, then it'll need some pretty harsh EQ, probably some compression and brought up quite a bit in the mix.

Typical guitarist sound engineer. Bass is way to quiet in the mix.

From what i can hear of it, there isn't much to the bass but bass. Sounds like everything else has been cut. How are you recording it and has it been edited?

I can't listen very loudly through monitors(its 1.30am) and my headphones aren't the best, but from what i hear, i think the bass should be re-recorded. If you're not willing to, then it'll need some pretty harsh EQ, probably some compression and brought up quite a bit in the mix.

Its not at all that its too low...and i recorded it Direct Into my toneport thats all i can do right now...sounds nice.....when i solo the track it doesn't sound too bassy at all...sounds nice...and i can rerecord it no problem...any suggestions?...and when i compress it it actually seems to sit lower in the mix...weird...guess i'll have to work it out

I will constantly be updating the bass tracks as they get better...simply look for the track that says...guitar and bass newest...loving the feedback guys thank you...keep it coming

Last edited:
Its not at all that its too low...and i recorded it Direct Into my toneport thats all i can do right now...sounds nice.....when i solo the track it doesn't sound too bassy at all...sounds nice...and i can rerecord it no problem...any suggestions?...and when i compress it it actually seems to sit lower in the mix...weird...guess i'll have to work it out
I have to disagree. To a guitarist (well most guitarists) it's not too low, but to me is it. I can barely hear it.

Bass is itself an instrument and not just used to fill out the low end of the guitars. It should be right up front with the guitars, drums and vocals.

The other frequencies are being masked by the guitars, so yeah, it will sound good on it's own but it doesn't fit in the mix. Play around with the knobs on the bass and try getting a good sound along-side the guitars during tracking. Don't just plug-in the bass and keep the first sound you get. Play around with it and get the best sound you can.

Well compression compresses the volume, usually making the loud parts quieter, so you usually need to increase the overall volume of the bass after compression.

Nice!
The Roland Cube 15 is a very good studio amp and it has a good distortion channel too
Keep up the good work

Nice!
The Roland Cube 15 is a very good studio amp and it has a good distortion channel too
Keep up the good work

Thanks! Im trying and im liking that i seem to be getting descent results with the little i actually know about audio engineering...but i learn something new each day and hope to keep getting better

-Cheers

I wouldn't suggest the tone is unusable, but I also wouldn't say it sounds very nice as a general guitar tone. I'd still be dialing unless I was looking for some special niche tone this would fill.

it's all upper mids that basically sounds like mostly preamp distortion.

IMO it's lacking any real tone or body.

I wouldn't suggest the tone is unusable, but I also wouldn't say it sounds very nice as a general guitar tone. I'd still be dialing unless I was looking for some special niche tone this would fill.

it's all upper mids that basically sounds like mostly preamp distortion.

IMO it's lacking any real tone or body.

And there you go bursting my bubble =/..jk i appreciate the honesty and your time...any suggestions on how to go about restoring those "lower mids"...i also am beginning to see how it does lack body...but not sure how to fix it?

I don't know the amp you're using and how sounds in the room... mic position, etc. issues can be in either and both.

there's a lot of variables here and no one recipe will work for any case.

try this...

position the mic pointed at where the Dust Cap meets the Cone and 4 inches out to the mic diapraghm. don't move it once you have it positioned

now dial the amp for tone. learn to dial in very, very small increments... listen to each... over and over. make more very small changes. learn to hear the tone and the changes.

Back