Hows My Mix Coming?

SteveCPerrino

This is just a song I threw together in about an hour. Mixed it for a couple hours, let me know what you think, and what i could change!

My Gear:

Logic 8 Software
Izotope Ozone 4 Mastering Software
Presonus Firepod
AKG D112 (kick)
Audix F12 (snare)
SM57 (guitar amp miking)
Sennheiser e604s (toms)
Audix F15s (overheads)
Marshall Tube Head (its my friends, i forget the name, but its a good one haha)
Marshall 1960A Cabinet
Epiphone G-400 SG with EMG 81/85 pickups
Behringer Ultra-G DI Box for bass
Sonor 503 Series 5-piece drum kit
evans heads

thanks!

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=18279

Practice, practica and practice.

Hey man, you got nice ideas but there's a thing you must resolve before putting your music on a record: tempo. I think that are a lot of passages where the tempo is all messed up, going up and down. Get accoustomed to us the metronome not only for practicing but for recording too.

Now, about your recording:
1. Get rid of ALL those underisable guitar noises. As a guitarrist I hate when I hear such feedback and amp noise. In the other hand, I really dig the distortion you're using. EMGs are the way if you want a big fat chunky tone.

2. Bass kick needs more thump. AndIt's not sounding great... for this kind of music you should think about blending a great kick sample with your drummer's kick or maybe use some drum replacement software.

3. Snare it's weak. Remember how hard, heavy and almost insane the snare sound in the records you like. In part is due to the fact that they're recording with very expensive kits and fresh heads. You can acieve a nice sanre sound by experimenting before recording. Spend some time with your durmmer to get that snappy sound without adding any EQ. Best approach it's to put a mic on top (SM57) and one mic on bottom, then mix it to taste.

4. Bass lacks definition. Try recording it with a direct box.

yeah...the sound aint half bad but the musicianship is aweful. Metronome!!! The guitars sound good and heavy but they are all over the place. Sounds like you need a better gate. the bass has enough depth but lacks focus and really needs a bump at around 2k. Practice practice and practice.

hey, thanks for all the feedback!

I understand what drum replacement software is, but what do you mean by "blending a kick sample"?

I agree with the above... grts are nice but the timing is all over the map. probably a little gtr heavy too...like the bass player left to get pizza and he got mixed out!:)

Sounds pretty cool to me...I'm not too shy of the occasional old slammin metal sounding song.

Blending a kick sample means (I think) that you leave your original recorded one there...but you find a 'samlpe' of a kick from maybe some kind of synth drum kit...then you combine that sound under/ with/ on top of your original kick sound...might be tedious to place a sample to match your kick...I've never done it.

Anyway, I hear that a lot of people do this...same with snares...they find some snare or kick sound they love and then blend it...or sometimes even fully replace the original snare/ kick

Blending a kick sample means (I think) that you leave your original recorded one there...but you find a 'samlpe' of a kick from maybe some kind of synth drum kit...then you combine that sound under/ with/ on top of your original kick sound...might be tedious to place a sample to match your kick...I've never done it.

You are right except you dont have to manually replace them. you would use something like drumagog or the likes.

As Murdersgalore pointed, Drumagog it's a pretty neat software for drum replacemet but there are other that will do the job for less money. ap Trigga2 let you do that but be careful, it's no entirely compatible with Pro Tools.

If you got the timing really slick, a lot of things would probably clear up, though I can hear the snare being a bit underrepresented too

Back