How's my mix? (Acoustic)

PaddyGordon

Any major changes you'd make to this mix?

All recorded with a Neumann TLM 102 through a Universal Audio LA-610 except the rhythm guitar, recorded in stereo, in which I used a Shure SM27 through the LA-610 (as it has better lows) and the Neumann through a Liquid Saffire 56 (Set to emulate a Millennia HV-D3) to pick up the highs

It's an acoustic version of this:

Great voice, and nice recording of it. Whatever that accent is sucks me in...haha I'm guessing Scottish? Also hard to tell if it's a guy or girl. Very cool.

Acoustic sounds cool...maybe a bit less reverb...maybe. I might mellow out the lead tone a bit or throw a warm reverb on it. The solo tone is good, but the lead during the vocals is a little harsh, not much though.

The vocal reverb works for me.

Oh and great song, I really like it.

Also, what do you think of those Liquid Pres? I cheaped out and got the Saffire Pro 40 with the standard pres since I usually use my outboard gear. Noticeable difference between settings, easy to use, nice sounds?

Scottish Girl haha!

I have 2 reverbs on everything, a plate and a hall. Do you know what you're hearing too much? (I'm guessing it'll be the hall one)

I don't normally notice it until post production, the LA 610 emulation is nothing compared to the actual LA 610, but the emulation does add it's own different harmonics to things depending on which you set it to. It's very easy, and they have a table set out to see what you're changing your preamp to emulate.

I also liked the liquid one because it had XLRs and Jacks separate so I could have it permanently set up with everything plugged in, the Liquid Pre's were a bonus. It's also futureproof due to the wordclock bit etc if I won the lottery and got an apogee set up! :P

You definitely notice the LA 610's bass on the left side of the Rhythm Guitar though!

Had this on repeat for a few now... really like the song... (<- from aberdeen originally, now I live in the south in the USA.. love the sound!)

A / B the reverbs & pull back the one that's emphasising the sibiliance.
That might also be emphasising the string noise from the acoustic as well.
Lovely girl acoustic version of the artic monkeys to my ears.
I quite like th other version too - though the bass line could use a little variation. Could be a Las song with a little more zip.
Good work on your part.

Back